Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Groups

Edward

Okay, i will check that out and if so consult with some of the others about the idea. It's because this forum is like a second home for me, and I'm sure some others must feel this way also.

I'm glad you like the forums. And thank you very much for all your help in answering other people's questions!

It's no bother, that's why i thought a group would be cool, say like we could have some kind of entry level, if you have 100 points, you can get into the Descendants of Larry Ullman group, it would just give us something to work for and be proud of. We hope if we answer your questions here that you will have more time to write your books, especially the one's we are waiting for.

So I just took a quick look. There are groups, but the groups are: Administrator, Banned, Member, Moderator, Validating, and Guest. There are member ranks already in place. For example, you are an Advanced Member. Unfortunately, this is based upon the number of posts, so a person with a lot of questions can move up in rank the same as someone that provides a lot of answers.

All that being said, I really don't have the time to mess with all this and I really don't feel like promoting a class system. But I do personally appreciate those that help out (as you point out, it means I have more time to write).

• Upvote 1

Would guess ranks is a better word for it than groups. I don't know about IPB, but I would guess you can assign ranks based on post count. As you can see, you are now an "Advanced member" instead of the default "member".

To be honest, I care very little for such things. I've been active on maybe 30-50 different forums over the last 10 years. Those forums that emphasizes post count often has a higher number of posts, but it affects the general quality. Especially for a forum like this - a programming forum - you'd want quality posts instead of lots of posts.

I generally like this forum a lot. No "pissing contests", grown up members and a good tone. I'm also a fan av Larry's writing as he explains programming a way even a knuckle head like me can understand. I struggled a lot in the beginning, and I like to pass some of my experience back to those new to programming. I stick around because of this.

Edit: I've also hung out at English speaking forums since I was maybe around 15. I feel I've gain a lot by having to think and write in English. So far, it has definitely made my a better writer, and also helped me gain confidence in my ability to speak English. I don't care about being 100% correct grammar wise or word for word, but I really enjoy the feeling of being able to write English without having to look up words and phrases all the time. Great exercise. :)

• Upvote 1

Well there are custom rank badges that are free on IPB that can be in, but what we already have i would agree is enough. Quality will always win over quantity, i thought we got points when we answered a question correctly or some informative info, i didn't know it was post related and don't like that fact if it is so.

Thanks for the nice words on the forums, guys. I'm glad you like it and I so appreciate all the help. I know I could have done a better job over the years building a community, but mostly I wanted this to be a BS-free place that's a good resource. And I think that's been accomplished.