Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Event Handling And Functions

I understand that ch. 6,7, 8 are most important basics to understand. I'm getting confused as I read over them.

1. event listener and event handler are used form same thing? Please correct me if I am wrong. I get it that a function written to do something for an event is referred as either event listener or event handler.

2. Can I assign a function with argument for event handling? Like, I have to create a JavaScript game of 2 players. I want to disable/enable player's button to give each one a turn. I'm doubtful about the logic, but copying the code to show what I want to ask. How to handle such functions? or what am I missing?

function dice() {

'use strict';

var diceno = Math.floor(Math.random()*6 + 1);

document.getElementById("dice").innerHTML = diceno;

}

function toggleButton(bt) {

'use strict';

dice();

b.disabled = true;

if(b.value == 'b2') { //here b.value does not give the name or id of button, as button is a input, and it's value property isundefined.

console.log(b.value);

document.dcForm1.b1.disabled = false;

} else {

console.log("b1");

document.dcForm1.b2.disabled = false;

}

}

window.onload = function() {

'use strict';

document.getElementById('b1').onclick = toggleButton; //This thing does not work, as it requires a parameter.

document.getElementById('b2').onclick = toggleButton;

}

1) Yes, an event listener and an event handler are essentially the same thing.

2) Yes, you can send arguments to functions by using anonymous functions. For example:

elem.onmouseover = function () {

someFunction(arg);

};

That answer your questions?

• Upvote 1

2) Yes, you can send arguments to functions by using anonymous functions. For example:

elem.onmouseover = function () {

someFunction(arg);

};

Ok, got it. Create an another (anonymous) function assigning an event which can take a function with argument.

Thanks

• Upvote 1