Larry Ullman's Book Forums

User Registration Link On The Home Page And The File

Hi everyone,

I put together the "My quotes" web application using the chapter "Putting it all together".

However, I ran into several problems :

1. what is the exact sequence of steps, so that the user registration shows up on a home page ?

2. How do I register as an administrator, so that I may work on the quotes ? (System denies access, when I point browser to the files)

3. where do I safely store the usernames and passwords ?

Thank you.

Hey Rebecca! First, I have to ask you not to post the same question multiple times. It just ends up with people repeating answers (and therefore, their work, wasting time). As for your questions...

1. what is the exact sequence of steps, so that the user registration shows up on a home page ?

Could you explain what you mean by "shows up on a home page"? 

2. How do I register as an administrator, so that I may work on the quotes ? (System denies access, when I point browser to the files)

The "My Quotes" application doesn't use registered users. The lone user--the administrator--is hardcoded into the login.php script. 

3. where do I safely store the usernames and passwords ?

The next logical step to flesh out this example would be to create a table for storing users and you'd put that information there. Let me know if you're ready to pursue that and I'll explain a bit about how to securely store and check passwords. (Please also confirm the version of PHP you're using.)