Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Ch10 Script 10.01 Get_Quote.php Not Working

Hi

When attempting to open this file and get a quote (KO) coca cola, NYSE

I get the following error: (Please note that this file is directly from the downloads)

Have I done something wrong?

Tx :)

Karen

Warning: fopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Temporary failure in name resolution in /var/www/html/php_advanced/ch10/get_quote.php on line 18

Warning: fopen(http://quote.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=KO&f=nl1): failed to open stream: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Temporary failure in name resolution in /var/www/html/php_advanced/ch10/get_quote.php on line 18

Warning: fgetcsv() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /var/www/html/php_advanced/ch10/get_quote.php on line 21

Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /var/www/html/php_advanced/ch10/get_quote.php on line 24

The latest value for (KO) is $.
Enter a NYSE stock symbol to get the latest price:

Interesting! When I click on the Yahoo! link to access it in my browser, it does work, so that's not the problem. My best guess is this is a server problem, specifically with the DNS. You can confirm this by changing "quote.yahoo.com" to 72.30.203.4 (Yahoo's IP address) and seeing if it works then.