Larry Ullman's Book Forums

mysqli_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in

I'm trying to run a query of existing employee records in order to update their information, and am receiving the error: Warning: mysqli_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in /home/schill54/public_html/Capstone/htdocs/Home/updateform.php on line 8

Below is my script. I've tweaked the query several times with no luck. Originally I had it set to SELECT * from my users table but then realized there was 1 column that I didn't want it to return and therefore I didn't account for it in my form, so then listed the desired columns individually but still getting the error. From the google searching I've done so far I realize there is probably still something wrong with my query but can't figure out what it is.

<?php
{
	include ("../includes/header.php");
	require_once ('../../mysqli_connect.php');
	$lname=$_GET['last_name']; 
	$query = "SELECT first_name, last_name, phone, username, pass, admin FROM users WHERE last_name='$lname'"; 
	$result = mysqli_query ($dbc, $query);
	$num = mysqli_num_rows($result);
	if ($num > 0) { // If it ran OK, display all the records.
		while ($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result, MYSQLI_ASSOC)){
?>
			<form action="updatemp.php" method="post">
			<p>First Name: <input name="text" size=30 value="<? echo $row['first_name']; ?>"></p>
			<p>Last Name: <input name="text" size=30 value="<? echo $row['last_name']; ?>"></p>
			<p>Phone Number: <input name="text" size=30 value="<? echo $row['phone']; ?>"></p>
			<p>User Name: <input name="text" size=30 value="<? echo $row['username']; ?>"></p>
			<p>Password: <input name="text" size=30 value="<? echo $row['pass']; ?>"></p>
			<p>Admin Access?: <input name="text" size=30 value="<? echo $row['admin']; ?>"></p>
			</form>
<?
		} //end while statement
	} //end if statement
	mysqli_close($dbc);
	//include the footer
	include ("../includes/footer.php");
}
?>

Yeah, this error means the query returned false instead of 0 or more results, which means the query has an error in it. Most likely there's a mismatch between the query and how the table is defined. The easiest way to know the specific problem is to print out the MySQL error.