Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Flex And Flash Builder Gotchas

Well, um, experience, I guess. It also depends upon the versions in use. Are there specific type of gotchas you're thinking of?

Well, um, the kind that are described in the link I posted.

Isn't condescension fun?

The difference between your post and mine is that I was not trying to be condescending, I was just thinking aloud (or in type). So whereas I meant no offense, you meant to offend. At best that's just unprofessional and immature. Moreover, that's a curious way to behave when you're asking for free help from strangers.

Well, um, experience, I guess. It also depends upon the versions in use. Are there specific type of gotchas you're thinking of?

Noob,

You mention Flash/Flex, but Actionscript (which is what I think you are referring to) is based on C syntax and certainly has a lot of the same "gotchas" found in those languages - you can read the wikipedia page link you posted to find some of them.

However, Larry pretty much summed it up! What you need to do is study your ass off like I did and spend a lot of time developing with the Flex/Flash IDEs. I have been using Flash on and off for years and have read Actionscript 3.0 books to the point of nausea. I think I'm pretty knowledgeable with the technology, yet I still only consider myself an intermediate user! One mistake people make is in thinking they can just buy one of those "Learn Flash in 24 hours" books and be experts within a couple of weeks! I can very confidently say that this thinking is WRONG! Flash/Flex are very powerful technologies, and Actionscript 3.0 is a full fledged object oriented programming language. Once you start down the "rabbit hole", it can go very deep! If you want to learn the "gotchas" then you have to start spending time with the technology. Period!

• Upvote 1