Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Career Path !

ionezation

I am stuck in middle of many things. I have graphics design skills. I would like to be a web designer and developer.Plus, my father wants me to start a trading company. I am doing BS/I.T. I have some job offers for graphics and web designer. I would like to attain MCSD certification also.

Where i go I am very confused and crossed.

Thanks and Regards,

Anu

I'm not strong on career advice, but I guess I'd offer up one thought I've learned: whatever decision you make has ramifications, but isn't permanent. If you decide X now, it doesn't mean you're stuck on a path forever (although changing later could be harder). At this time, it may seem like these are huge, permanent decisions, but they almost certainly are not. Good luck!

While very cliched, what I've learned is that you should do what you want to do, not what your dad (or some other relative) wants you to do.

If you love what you do, you will work hard and become good at it (thus hopefully making said skeptical relative proud of you (if that's a concern)).

And if you think you'll love something, but then end up not loving it after trying it (this happened to me), then try again to find what you do love, and then do it.

Good luck, and I agree with Larry as well.

Thank you larry and hartleySen. I am agree with both of you. It is true that you excel in field which you love the most. I am learning Html5/css3 and javascript from different books. Do recommend me books on Html5/Css3 please

Steve Jobs also said that money will come from the field you love the most. 

So nice of you !

Thank you very much

If you decide X now, it doesn't mean you're stuck on a path forever (although changing later could be harder). At this time, it may seem like these are huge, permanent decisions, but they almost certainly are not.

And if you think you'll love something, but then end up not loving it after trying it (this happened to me), then try again to find what you do love, and then do it.

You guys make good points!

Many many years ago I thought IT should be interesting, and I started to do IT, after several years my interest changed to something else, and after another several years I found my interest now is programming again!(especially web development & mobile development), and I started reading the books on these topics. Now I really want to be good at it.

Amazon links to the books Chris recommended:

CSS: http://www.amazon.com/CSS3-Missing-David-Sawyer-McFarland/dp/1449325947/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390226928&sr=8-2&keywords=CSS

HTML (search results page): http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Head+First+HTML5&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AHead+First+HTML5

This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think books are generally that good for learning HTML/CSS. I think you gain a lot more by just attempting certain designs, and using web references to figure out things you can't do.

Hi, re books, I have found the "Missing Manual" series of books very good to get coverage of areas which Larry has not (maybe yet) covered though most of my learning has come from Larry's books and working through all the code examples and then developing applications that I wanted to try.

From my perspective as a retiree having worked in IT for over 40 years, yes, try to do what you enjoy doing most and persist, persist, persist. And keep learning. And yes, you can always change course if your initial choice(s) don't turn out as you expected.

A huge asset in any career is a competent mentor - you may find that one comes along as you traverse your career path. Also try and develop a network of associates - in my experience you can often achieve an objective through your network that maybe you can't do through other means.

Good luck in your endeavours.

• Upvote 2

Necuima ... Wow you have 40 years of I.T experience, That`s amazing. May you should write a book in which you pool your experience for people like us. Can we become friends ? You know larry`s book are very indepth and they take the niche points that merely covered by any other author. One think i like in his book is that he gradually moves to advance level, that`s really interesting for. 

Christopher .. Thanks for all you said and i am agreed that Missing Manual is a great series i have Javascript / Jquery the missing manual. But you know it doesnt cover the key points like sometimes i have to post the script on different forums to find out the meaning of certain line of code. Well, i give it 8/10 points.

Looking at your initial post again, as Larry has mentioned on a number of occasions, for most of us very different skills/abilities are needed to design things than subsequently implementing them. Design is a very creative pursuit whereas implementation requires I think different skills like very logical/analytical thinking. If you can do both equally well, then you have exceptional talents. Good luck with your choices!

Cheers from Oz.

• Upvote 1

Christopher,

I also have Professional JavaScript for Web Developers in my bad. Its 900 pages book and it is absoutely awesum Soon i am starting to teach in my local coaching center as a web designer teacher. Please pray for me  .

Necuima and Hartley,

I am agreed too, web design/development both are vast fields, in my opinion one has to be stuck with one thing for few months then move to other, Its really helpful. My aim is to acquire MCSD certification but you know for it a huge travel to make.

Aristotle said :

Knowledge is a vast ocean, when we just wet our feet, Death comes and take us away  :wacko: 

• 2 weeks later...