26 replies to this topic

#21 Larry

Larry

Administrator/Writer

• Administrators
  • 4766 posts
  • LocationState College, PA (USA)

Posted 9 January 2015 - 8:42 AM

I started using Digital Ocean with a small project a few months ago just to play around. I've been very pleased and am in the (long) process of moving all my sites there. I have a $5 droplet for some personal stuff and I'm putting my main sites onto a $20 droplet. That's probably more than I need, but considering I'm currently spending $65/month, it's a significant savings. 

I don't use ServerPilot because I'm comfortable with command-line stuff. In fact, I really like that aspect. Trying to go through cPanel or other hosting interfaces to figure out how to do stuff was always annoying. I've created my sites as Git repositories, so I don't use any graphical interfaces to interact with my server, which is preferred, really. 

Between the SSD drives and not having all that other...crap, the performance is really strong. When I move larryullman.com there, I expect to use HHVM, which should make performance even better.

As for having multiple droplets around the world, I don't think...DO supports that out of the box. In fact, I think many load balancing like things have to be on droplets within the same region. But you could easily use DO with AWS as a CDN, serving static assets from even more sites around the world. On LarryUllman.com, serving static assets via AWS as a CDN cost me, at most, $4/month. 

#22 Jonathon

Jonathon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 9 January 2015 - 4:05 PM

Just briefly Larry how did you configure your site and local environment for Git. 

Do you plan to rewrite any of your code with Hack? I've not looked at HHVM or how it works really. Other than it's a virtual machine.

Warwick, I'm sure you could use a bash script to update your server automatically. However I can't definitely confirm that.

#23 Larry

Larry

Administrator/Writer

• Administrators
  • 4766 posts

Posted 9 January 2015 - 6:53 PM

For Git, I followed these instructions:

https://www.digitalo...-git-with-a-vps

Really pleased with that workflow. 

I wasn't planning on rewriting code in Hack. My understanding is that WordPress is HHVM-supported, I just need to make sure the IP Board is, too. I'd rather go this route than port my WordPress to another platform (shudder). 

#24 Warwick

Warwick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 6:32 AM

Thanks for the info, Larry.

I have not yet decided whether I will go with serverpilot.io yet or not. I have a copy of my website set up on a droplet that is managed by serverpilot.io so that I can spend some time evaluating it. That Git solution looks like a good idea.

Thanks Jonathon for the suggestion. I actually found someone asking a related question at DO here:

https://www.digitalo...roplets-updated

The answer to the question links to an Ubuntu article on how to do automatic updates here:

https://help.ubuntu....ic-updates.html

The other thing that severpilot.io does is configure Nginx as a public-facing web server with Apache behind it. They do this to keep the Apache server safe from Slowloris attacks. This looks link a whole additional learning curve to set Nginx up manually. Has anyone had experience with setting up Nginx?

#25 Antonio Conte

Antonio Conte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 11 January 2015 - 3:44 PM

We use Git Flow on our projects. We also use post-receive hooks and deploy the same way as Larry does. The big difference is that the master branch only have published released, and is thus always stable. We branch out of develop using feature-branches, and merge with develop, perform staging and then goes live when our customers accept new functionality. The stage-enviroment is therefor based on develop, not master. This means we can very easily rollback to a working version if anything stops working and master is always stable. The actual development is performed on our development server that's not visable for the customers.

Additional benefits of using git bare-repos is that can perform additional actions. We must likely need to purge cache, restart varnish and similar. All these steps can be done inside the post-receive script.

#26 Warwick

Warwick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 5:27 AM

It's been about two and a half years since I started using Digital Ocean - hard to believe. I am still with them and have several websites on a basic droplet. Never had a days problem.

How has everyone's experience been with them? Are you guys still using DO?

#27 Larry

Larry

Administrator/Writer

• Administrators
  • 4766 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 9:36 AM

I forget how long I've been using them; a while now. I'd endorse them wholeheartedly. There was one DNS issue that required a hard reboot but that's been it. Their support was quite response on that.

The big caveat with Digital Ocean is you do have to know what you're doing somewhat with respect to Linux and servers and such. Not only do you have to set things up, but you have to be able to debug problems when they go awry (I'm having an issue with MySQL memory that I need to resolve), and make sure you have ample security and backup measures in place.

But the performance and price combination is excellent!