Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Populating Hidden Form Fields From A Db Query

Hi all,
As the topic title suggests I'm trying to populate a hidden form element with a number retrieved from a DB query. The hidden field appears in the post array but with no value. Yet the value appears in the debugging info.

This is the query (it only returns one row):

$q = "SELECT H_H_allowance FROM curtain_constants";

$r = mysqli_query ($dbc, $q) or trigger_error("Query: $q\n<br />MySQL Error: " . mysqli_error($dbc));

if (mysqli_num_rows($r) == 0)
{
	//If there's nothing in the DB display this message
	echo '<p>Oops, something\'s gone wrong. We\'re working on it, please would you try again later. Apologies.</p>';	
}
else
{		
	$row = mysqli_fetch_array($r, MYSQLI_ASSOC);
}

This is the hidden form field:

<input name="H_H_allowance" type="hidden" value="<?php $row['H_H_allowance'] ?>" />

This is the relevant debugging info:

[_POST] => Array        (            [fabric_width] => 139            [track_pole] =>             [drop] =>             [fullness] => 2            [vert_pattern_repeat] => 0            [hor_pattern_repeat] => 0            [pattern_match] => no            [H_H_allowance] =>             [submitted_curtains] => TRUE            [submit] => Get fabric quantity        )
[row] => Array        (            [H_H_allowance] => 25.00        )

Thanks once again.

Paul

Hiya,

The hidden field is there.

My confusion is that if there was a problem with the DB query then $row would not contain 25.00. If there was a problem with the form element then the $_POST  array would not contain H_H_allowance. One just doesn't seem to pick up the other.

I've even just checked my spelling of allowance....make sure I didn't put allowence anywhere. Spelling is not my strong point, nor is PHP it appears!

One of those days today.

Cheers

Paul