Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Debugging: Latest Ie Vs. Firefox

I don't regularly use IE, but the thing that makes FF so great is that it's extendible and there are lots of great extensions out there. Until IE is extendible, and please correct me if it has become so, I can't imagine it being comparable.

By Latest IE what do you mean? IE9 or BETA 10?

But as a personal feeling, IE would be the last browser I'd ever use to debug as FF, Chrome and Opera are better in my opinion. To be honest I didn't know that IE provided any kind of built in debugging? Other than the console that reports various JavaScript errors that often probably shouldn't be errors. (Or at the least, they should be handled more inline with FF Chrome Safari etc. However, that doesn't mean that I don't try and get IE to play ball). However reluctant it is!

I meant IE BETA 10, Jonathon. I am just a starter, and so lack the depth of knowledge you, Larry, and other advanced friends have, and we really thank you all for sharing your knowledge generously with us. Between IE and Chrome, I already ran into a problem with Chrome that both IE and FF did not have. It was about audio imbedding. A simple code example, where you could replace the audio file with one in your system:

<html>

<head>

</head>

<body>

<!-- this is an embedded audio file -->

<center>

<h3>This is an audio test</h3>

<embed name="Musictest"

src="musictest.mp3"

width="300"

height="90"

loop="false"

autostart="false" />

</center>

</body>

</html>

When the file is launched in Chrome in Windows 7 system, the audio player strangely appears on the far left and auto plays (notice the status of autosart is false), leaving a big black box in the spot it should have been. This problem is not there, however, when Chrome is run in Vista system. IE and FF ran trouble-free in both systems. I googled for an asnwer and saw many people facing the same problem, with a comment that there was a glitch in Chrome.

Don't get me wrong all browsers have their quirks. I haven't got IE 10, I have 9 though for testing. I'm not really sure what i'd class this problem as, it seems to be how it handles the HTML, but why it varies on different OS I don't know. Firstly is this the HTML5 embed tag? If it is shouldn't it have this above the <html> tag?

<!DOCTYPE HTML>

It may be as simple as that, if you have HTML errors or CSS errors I'd run them through the validators, make sure your running the right spec though, i'e don't run HTML 1.0 transitional through a HTML5 validator etc.

http://validator.w3.org/

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Also, FF offers (in my opinion) the best debuging extensions for JS CSS + HTML. And you can get things like the https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/web-developer/ which provides you with a massive array of tools to try and counteract these problems, and direct links to validators

Thanks Jonathan, for the info. you provided. The code was in HTML 4 or XHTML 1 (cannot recall now), but with the proper Doctype as I double checked it. When I googled the issue, I found others encountering the same problem. One person said they got a response from Google of an inherent Chrome problem.