HartleySan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3042 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH USA

Posted 3 October 2013 - 5:18 PM

Hey, not bad.

Did you consider using CSS3 transitions for the background fade?

#43 Jaepee

Jaepee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSan Jose Ca

Posted 3 October 2013 - 6:52 PM

Thanks.. I did think of using css3 however it was not working for IE7 and I wanted to make the code work on the old laptop I was working on.  All devices I have tested the code on has worked so far, so I am pretty happy with the fade. It was more of a "will this work?" type approach to the fade. I got it to work.

#44 HartleySan

HartleySan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3042 posts

Posted 3 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

Cool. Glad you got it working.

Certainly, if old IE is a requirement for a site, you will have to use JS for things like fade effects, but honestly, I'm now of the opinion that because the number of users using old IE these days is so low, you're better off just going with the CSS3 transition (which is a lot easier and shorter to code and requires less CPU processing power) and not bothering with fancy visual effects for users of old IE.

When it comes to old IE, I think I'm better than most designers in that I actually care and try to provide a decent experience for old IE, but visual effects that are purely there for appearance like a fade is not something I'm going to waste time and code on.

I'd rather keep the file sizes down for mobile devices, which are far more plentiful and important in this day and age than old IE.

Anyway, just my two cents. As a thought exercise though, creating a visual effect in JS is always good practice.

#45 Jaepee

Jaepee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSan Jose Ca

Posted 29 October 2013 - 7:52 PM

Since this is a "SHOW US YOUR PROJECTS" post I figure I would post something else that I have been working on.  Its not 100% programming related but computer related, yes; yes it is. http://blu.re/VDF5

Dell POWEREDGE 1950 web server. Generously provided to me from an internet company here in the Bay Area.

I can now host all of my websites here at home on my 30mpbs internet connection. I have ubuntu 12.04 server and set up virtual hosting, currently hosting two domains.

#46 HartleySan

HartleySan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3042 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 5:57 AM

That's really cool.

I've always wanted to host my own web server, but have never had the time nor the money.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

#47 Larry

Larry

Administrator/Writer

• Administrators
  • 4785 posts
  • LocationState College, PA (USA)

Posted 30 October 2013 - 8:51 AM

Great that your company gave that to you, although I'd still never host web sites from my house (not if the sites mattered at all, that is).

#48 Jaepee

Jaepee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSan Jose Ca

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

Thanks Guys, Just thought it would be a great experience to try and set up a server. I have tried the GoDaddy.com virtual servers but they limit your bandwidth and disk space and cost like 39.99 a month and up. Larry your right, hosting a site from a house is not recommended. But it is pretty fun, and a great learning exp.

jp

#49 Antonio Conte

Antonio Conte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2013 - 6:27 AM

Yeah, Jeapee. Nice way to learn some Ubuntu, tweaking Apache, install different language invironments and things like that. I'm not really into the server stuff, but I've recently gained interest in it following a class I have on Ubuntu and Apache. :)

#50 Jaepee

Jaepee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSan Jose Ca

Posted 2 November 2013 - 4:23 PM

Thats cool about your Ubuntu class Antonio. Do you know how to configure dns using bind or bind9? I am trying to learn how to set up my server as a name server but don't know where to start.

Thanks jp

#51 Jaepee

Jaepee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSan Jose Ca

Posted 11 March 2016 - 4:18 PM

Okay I am back to show some projects.  I have deviated from javascript a bit to blur on objective-c with php backend. I am posting a link to the current project I am working on. It's a video of an app I am making that loads data from a php script. https://www.youtube....h?v=kEB4oHJ__0s

Its still a work in progres. Sorry about the music in the background I was veging out coding and listening to music.

jp

#52 Larry

Larry

Administrator/Writer

• Administrators
  • 4785 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:24 AM

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with it!

#53 Jaepee

Jaepee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSan Jose Ca

Posted 22 November 2016 - 6:40 PM

Hey everyone, I've been busy with programming. I haven't stopped by here in a while. Just though i'd share my first app that is now in the Apple App store. It was quite a journey to say the least but I made it. The App is called "Type It, Say It". You can type anything you want into the text field and the system voice (Siri) will say it back to you. Check it out if your an Apple user.

https://appsto.re/us/6ozdeb.i

Thanks

J

Edited by Jaepee, 22 November 2016 - 6:42 PM.

#54 Larry

Larry

Administrator/Writer

• Administrators
  • 4785 posts

Posted 2 December 2016 - 5:04 PM

Thanks for sharing that and good luck with it!

#55 David John

David John

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 2 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

Hey all,

I figured I would share one of my projects inspired by Larry's effortless e-commerce book(s):

https://www.broadbandguitar.com/

We offer online music lessons from incredibly talented guitarists.  

#56 Larry

Larry

Administrator/Writer

• Administrators
  • 4785 posts

Posted 3 July 2017 - 2:16 PM

Thanks for sharing! Looks pretty clean and nice!

#57 David John

David John

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 3 July 2017 - 11:38 PM

Thanks, Larry!