I just posted the first update for the second edition of “The Yii Book“, covering version 2 of the Yii framework. The release notes are lengthy, but a couple of quick “I’m aware” thoughts up front…
- I’m not pleased with the image quality of some images, but that’s a harder problem to solve than you might imagine. I will continue to work on that.
- This update only includes through Chapter 8 (although you can still download the entire first edition of the book). Consequently, internal links to later chapters won’t work. I opted to be lazy here, rather than removing those links for now and having to re-enter them as I add chapters.
- I need to add the Yii 2 code to the downloads page.
Finally, I am not making any statements as to when I think the next release will be, or how long the entire edition will take. I’ve not done well estimating such things in the past, and the only reliable fact is it’ll take longer than anyone likes, including me. This first update arguably took longer than the others will but… I have goals in mind; some times I reach them, other times I don’t. Anyway, 200 pages is a good start!
Thanks, as always, to everyone for their patience and understanding. Please do let me know if you have any problems downloading or viewing the book. I’m going to take a day off of writing (not off my day job), maybe two, and then steam ahead.
- Version: 1.3
- Date published: 2015-06-02
- Updated the Introduction through Chapter 8 for Yii 2
- Took almost all new images
- Created a new tip type: “new” (for new in Yii 2)
- Explained how to install Yii via Composer (Chapter 2)
- Added an introduction to the Yii 2 debugger (Chapter 3)
- Added a section on configuring the web server (Chapter 4)
- Added a section on using Gii for regenerating files (Chapter 4)
- Moved coverage of behaviors into Chapter 5
- Used new behaviors in the CMS example (Chapter 5)
- More talk about events earlier in the book (Chapter 5)
- Added an explanation of the Object class and properties (Chapter 5)
- Added a section on requests and responses (Chapter 7)
- Introduced the `remember()` and `previous()` methods for URLs (Chapter 7)
- Explained dirty attributes (Chapter 8)
- Added a discussion of batch querying (Chapter 8)
- Lots of edits to be more succinct and consistent
- Output now recognizes the parts
- Fixed all the errors found in previous releases
- 196 pages total as a PDF