My college is using PHP&MySQL VQP as the text in an online course. We are currently on chapters 4 through 6. The course has little instructor interaction other than reviewing our editing and executing the VQP chapter scripts and building "game" php applications.
I've been Googling several sites trying to find step by step "cookbook" instructions on using my localhost phpmyadmin tool on a Windows 7 xampp installation. I've found the Documentation.txt assumes a wider set of experiences than beginning students can bring - especially those without access to a subject matter expert.
Here is what I've been able to do so far:
1. XAMPP 1.8.0 / PHP 5.4.4 / SQL 5.5.25a - installation for Windows 7 completed successfully
2. XAMPP Control Panel v3.0.12 -Apache- and -MySQL- systems started each time
3. PHP exercises from chapters 1 through 3 in PHP&MySQL VQP completed successfully
4. Signed on mysql line command as 'root' user, created tables and inserted records successfully
5. Tried http : // localhost / phpmyadmin - returns error as shown on text page 125 illustration "I" (eye)
6. Edited file 'xampp \ phpMyAdmin \ config.inc.php'
- auth_type = 'cookie';
- host = 'localhost'; (note: I found this in config.sample.inc, not in config file)
- password = (root password used in command line login - verbatim, not hash)
- extension = 'mysql';
- allownopassword = false;
8. Browsed to http : // localhost / xampp and clicked Tools / phpMyAdmin
9. Error message as shown on VQP p. 125
Some starting questions:
- What else is necessary to use phpMyAdmin other than updating the inc.config file above?
- I was not able to find info on phpMyAdmin in the Appendix A pdf - only user setup instructions
- Is there a sequence to editing the config file and starting/restarting Apache and/or MySQL?
- Should I already be signed in to mysql 'root' before trying to start phpMyAdmin?
Thank you for any light you can shed. If there is another text which more completely addresses setting up phpMyAdmin parameters, please let me know.