Jump to content
Larry Ullman's Book Forums


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About American_Buddy

  • Rank
  1. I do have an update on this topic, maybe it can help to shed some more light. I double checked my SQL in phpMyAdim -- and my tables have all been collated in utf8_general_ci, but the server collation (in phpMyAdmin) was set to: utf9mb4_unicode_ci. I changed the server collation to match utf8_general_ci, but it looks like the error is still persistent. I also changed the mysqli_set_charset() in mysqli_connnect.php to ...($dbc, 'utf8_general_ci) to see if that would have any affect, but it looks like that's not the case. I also accessed the mySQL from the terminal and could find/edit al
  2. Thanks for the reply, Larry. I double checked my database in myPHP admin, to make sure it's using UTF8, and it says the collation is 'utf8_general_ci' but that's how all my databases have been set up, so I think that's good to go. I fixed the mysqli_connect syntax, but the issue is still happening where I can enter a name w/o an apostrophe, but not one including the special character. I had some issue printing the value of $dbc to confirm it's an object: require('../mysqli_connect.php'); echo "$dbc"; and got the error message: Recoverable fatal error: Object of class mysqli
  3. Hey Larry, Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it. Also, really digging the book, I'm starting to feel much more confident in the PHP and SQL -- the book and forum is very helpful in learning this, and this knowledge has helped me me a ton in my work, so thank you! Regarding your suggestion, I double checked my script, and it has the CHARSET in it, I'll attach that code below. One other thought I had is that it might have something to due with a setting in mySQL. In chapter 7, I can't remember the script, but I got an error, and upon reading the forums, I fou
  4. Hello, Basically, I'm on script 9.5, using mysqli_real_escape_string(). After making the changes to the 9.3 script, I went to enter the name information, but what's weird is this: I can enter a name if there is no apostrophe or problematic characters, but still can't add to the database if those characters exist. For example: I can connect to the database and insert a record using "Sinead Oconnor" -- and when I look in the database, I can confirm that is uploading correctly I get an error message if I try the same with "Sinead O'Connor" - and can confirm this data is not sent
  5. Hey Carbs, I appreciate the heads up on the white space, and tightened it up, but didn't see a difference. When I was doing that though, I looked at the whole file w/ 'fresh eyes,' and caught that I had missed an underscore in the validation check: && is_numeric($_POST['gallon price']) && -- there should be an underscore between gallon and price. I added the underscore and it worked perfectly. Thank you for your time looking this over for me! Crazy how a little slip up like that got me and bottlenecked my progress, but it's a mistake I'll likely not make as mu
  6. Hello All! I'm hoping to get some help with my validation check on this exercise. Basically what's happening is the calculator will work, but only if I comment out the 'minimal form validation' php script. I read in an earlier post that it might have something to do w/ missing braces, but I don't think that's the case as I've looked at this code both in VS Code and Brackets and both show the braces as being balanced. I also don't get any errors when debugging or saving the .php file. I have a hunch it might have something to do w/ the radio options in the HTML portion, or the value o
  • Create New...