Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Book Recommendation Emphasized

Hi Larry i wanted to make my point in the last forum a bit more clear.

I know most of your books have been written in the fashion for people to start building websites up from scratch, and i have no complaints they are all well written. But for people like me and i am sure there are more, we don't really have the time to be reinventing the wheel and need to get on with the main website functionality. I know from the knowledge i have now that frameworks are the best approach, Yii, Codeignitor or Zend Framework etc, but they are all built with object orientated code.

We can find books on the market showing object orientated practice and patterns, but there is no current book like how to build an ecommerce website with registration and user accounts all written in objected orientated code. All we are finding in books is just a few classes etc, but we are not seeing a whole explained design pattern for one of these websites with your great explaining and notes. A book being in MVC of course.

I understand that you are making a new book on Yii which would i am sure be more popular than this due to the lack of Yii books that there are currently. But this type of book like i am suggesting would be a great base for people to understand the concepts of OOP in action and therefore be able to tailer this design or something similar into one of these OOP frameworks.

Like me and probably others at the moment, we have to buy many books to try to figure out how we should go correctly about this. Just a comment i would like to make as i am struggling to find the way right now.

Hello Edward,

Thanks for the input and making sure I hear what you're saying. It is appreciated, as I always want to give readers what they're looking for. I would start by saying, however, that I adamantly disagree with the suggestion "that frameworks are the best approach". Sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't. There's never one tool that is best for all situations and it's problematic to think otherwise.

That being said, you follow your assertion that you don't have time to reinvent the wheel and it's best to use frameworks with a request for a book that does an entire Web development routine using OOP but not a framework. I don't follow the logic there, as per your statements, it would seem like a book that demonstrates complete Web design using OOP would just be busy work when you should actually be using a framework.

In any case, next month I start writing the third edition of my "PHP Advanced" book and I will incorporate your feedback into the changes I plan on making in that edition.

I see your points. Okay but how about Effortless Ecommerce taking Knowledge is Power and Coffee Shop and combining into one, so then Coffee Shop would have a user log in and registration. If you were able to write up the book in the OOP MVC way. I am aware we would have to code common tasks as in validation etc which are covered by frameworks. But generally speaking it would give us a strong base to work off for those that wanted to build from scratch or go into frameworks with OOP.

Also whether someone does go into frameworks even though common tasks and MVC is all in OOP they still have to code there website so they would need two know which design patterns were best in OOP. It would just be helpful for people going full OOP, what more can be said!

Hey Edward, I'm kind of in the same situation as you are, trying to get a grip on how to implement OOP in a web context. I'm trying to build a quizzing application using OOP but already having a tough time on where to put the database functionality, so I'm going to attempt to write factory classes.

I've just finished viewing the first lecture video in an open Harvard software engineering course, and it looks promising as a supplementary material. Even though it's titled 'mobile' software engineering, they will be going over web development, MVC, frameworks, and all of that. Have a look.

http://cs164.tv/2012/spring/

There's only three videos up at the moment because the course is happening this semester, but as it progresses, more videos will be uploaded.

• Upvote 1

Hey Edward, I'm kind of in the same situation as you are, trying to get a grip on how to implement OOP in a web context. I'm trying to build a quizzing application using OOP but already having a tough time on where to put the database functionality, so I'm going to attempt to write factory classes.

I've just finished viewing the first lecture video in an open Harvard software engineering course, and it looks promising as a supplementary material. Even though it's titled 'mobile' software engineering, they will be going over web development, MVC, frameworks, and all of that. Have a look.

http://cs164.tv/2012/spring/

There's only three videos up at the moment because the course is happening this semester, but as it progresses, more videos will be uploaded.

Cool, i will watch those. Thanks for that!

For database functionality, I would recommend using one of the existing OOP options, such as PDO or MySQLI. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

Hi Larry, I am actually using PDO, but was having trouble as to where to actually put/call the connection object in my classes.

Now I think I have a better idea on what to do, I've got to factor out reading/writing into separate classes (I also want to support XML format, with possibilities for more formats down the road). If I can get a working application up, I might post it for CC.