Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Got It Today

Thanks i got your new book just a couple of days ago, looked cool, but i will be honest with you a prefer the style more from your other books like PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites, i prefer the two column layout and also the way that the content was more tightly packed into the pages. With the javascript book, there is too much white space around the content and the book just generally looks and feels like a harder read, even though it may not be, it could put some people off just picking up and looking at that book. I am sure the content of the book will be awesome as with the rest of the book but for me visually it wasn't as good as the others.

Once i have read the book through i promise i will write up a full review here on the forum for you, i will do the same for the PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites books when done, if i have time i may even do a live YOUTUBE video to present your books. Please don't grill me for my slightly negative on your javascript book, i am just being honest, i am very fussy when it comes to details. Sorry

Thanks for your input, Edward, and for the interest in the book. Different people will like different things. I happen to like the JavaScript design as it's clean and stylish. I think the VQS/VQP is also a good format, especially for learning new things. But, on the other hand, some people really can't stand the two-column format. They find it hard to read and there's redundancy there between the steps and the scripts. So, to each their own.

Okay i see your point about the two column layouts, people may or may not like that. But why not have larger lettering and at least fill that white space, that's the main point i was emphasizing on. Those small letters you have and many pages look like there is loads to get through and is off putting for me. Do you see the point i am making? Just look at how apple use their fonts and various size etc, you will see there banners look interesting to read this way. Ive seen a lot of commercial stuff and various books so i can see when some design doesn't flow.

Edward, I do see the point you are making: you would like certain things to be done differently. And my point is that different people like different things. You have already decided that you don't like how this book is designed. Many other people seem to really like it. O'Reilly has a Head First series that many people like and I can't stand. That's the way it goes.

In any case, I have NOTHING to do with the design of the book. Every Develop and Design book that Peachpit puts out has that design aesthetic. Every Visual QuickStart/QuickPro book Peachpit puts out has that particular aesthetic. Has nothing to do with me.

Well on the other hand there is an advantage in the design having whitespace around the content, its absolutely great for making notes, as few books give room for, so there you, a positive point.

Unfortunately it was the O'Reilly books i began my study with, after i found your books, i realize now i have wasted my money, most of those books just show you what functions are available in PHP, Javascript and MySQL, but what they do not show is the good practice, and multiple ways functions etc and be used as do your books. With O'Reilly books, you can learn the stuff but when you start to code you are once again stuck and need to figure more than really necessary out for yourself. O'Reilly is similar like Star Bucks in a way, you go in there thinking the Coffee will be great, but all you come out with is a commercial type of coffee lacking of taste and quality. I was in Asia at the time of purchasing my first books in 2011, i didn't see your books in Asia Books store.

It's funny the way i even found you in the first place, i ordered three books from Amazon on the php Ecommerce development, yours being Effortless Eccommerce, the Beginning Php Ecommerce book the Romanian guy Daire's and Michael Peacock's PHP 5 Ecommerce development. After attempting some of the others it was yours that really took a grip on me, i thought you only had that book, until i saw all the other ones on Amazon and your forum.

Anyway no worries, i hope we are cool, i will get on with my PHP!