Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Ssl Received A Record That Exceeded The Maximum Permissible Length.

An error occurred during a connection to www.mydomain.co.uk

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

I am stuck on chapter 6. After signing into paypal sandbox, using the buyer account I created & then clicking the 'go back to my site button,' I got the following error above. How do I solve this please?

Somebody else posted in another thread that there's a bug with PayPal UK's testing system. Check out that thread.

Thank-you Larry. I've looked at that post you kindly recommended. I contacted paypal & got the following response:

"No, this problem is caused by your webserver returning non-SSL data for a HTTPS link.

For example, if https://www.mydomain.co.uk/return.html return plain HTTP data, rather than the HTTPS data your browser would expect.

To resolve this, you would either need to check your SSL configuration within your webserver, or resort to using a non-HTTPS link for your 'return' link within the PayPal button.

I hope this clears it up. Please let me know if you have any questions."

How do I check the SSL configuration within my webserver? I have a shared host using cpanel. Is this an issue with the hosting? Should I contact my hosting company? Thanks :)