Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Rackspace Cloud Server Hosting

Today I just got setup with Rackspace Cloud Server Hosting, I am scared by the whole thing due to my lack of knowledge. Because I have a cloud server there is absolutely nothing installed there already or neither do I have any FTP details, it's all got to be taken care by me manually.

The reason I got the hosting was because Ive just started to work through Larry's Php and Mysql for Dynamic Websites and wanted to get used to dealing with things live to build more confidence. I am not sure if I have done the right thing here and maybe I should of just had a simple hosting.

I am using Windows Server 2008 Rs 64bit.

Thanks for sharing. The very notion of "cloud hosting" is lost on me, as by definition, I kind of thought hosting was in the cloud. But maybe it means hosting on multiple virtual servers, which is why you don't have direct FTP access. I assume you use a Web interface to transfer files? And when you say nothing is installed there already, what does that mean? There's a Web server and a database, I assume?

Thanks again for sharing and please continue to let us know what you think of this experience.

• Upvote 1

Good Day Larry! I am reading through all the getting started documents, with the rackspacecloud you don't pay anything at the start. You are charged every 30 days and you are only charged for what you use. I have got 2048MB RAM and 80GB diskspace to start of with. If i wish to add to that amount i can do it anytime i want as far as i am aware, so this must be what they are referring to by the cloud. The only time i heard about cloud was from Steve Jobs, when he said that nobody would need to have hard drives anymore on their computer and everything would just download from remote cloud computers and you wouldn't need to worry about backing up anymore.

I don't know if you know the company called project6.com in San Fransisco they recommended Rackspace hosting to me.

I don't think i will have time today to finish of the installation stuff but next step is

Creating an FTP Site in IIS 7.0

http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/index.php/Creating_an_FTP_Site

I will keep you and everyone else here updated on how i go with this cloud stuff.

This is not going as smooth as i hoped it would, i can see that running a Window Server 2008 R2 Enterprise is going to take a lot more knowledge to run than i have a present. We need to configure a windows firewall which has a list of stuff to deal with and not only that all ftp stuff needs to be configured, i can see there are just so many gaps that if are not sealed well is going to result on easy hacking. So it looks like really i have no alternative but to get a book and read it through on the windows server 2008 otherwise i will not be safe.

I'll tell you what though i used RDP today, Remote Desktop Connection, that was awesome, its the most amazing thing I've seen windows do in years, really really cool to have that working and being able to control your server from your local computer.

Rackspace have live support, but it doesn't seem like everyone is all that clued up when you contact them, either that or they are busy. It looks like you are more less expected to have your own prior knowledge otherwise i think you need to get a book to read. :)