Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Books And Recommendations!

Hey Larry! It seems that your books seem to be the best to build overall confidence.

I know you have a yii book coming out which i will purchase and do, i will also get the javascript one later. I did work through about halfway on another learning javascript book, yours seems to have more detail and explanation and seems to be longer but covers the same stuff. But if you can i would love if you could do a book on query, that would be highly useful to me if not others. Just a jquery book covering how to do the basic techniques we require to build our dynamic websites so something like a cook book? Javascript is okay and its good to know how it works, but we don't want to be reinventing the wheel when we can just use the jquery library.

I have some other questions for you.

1. When will the new advanced php book be coming out, ive got the old one but would prefer to do that one, will it be ready within next two months?

2. If we work through the php and mysql for dynamic websites 4 edition, is there enough mysql in that to move forward or do we need to read the mysql book also?

PS Don't worry about me, Larry! I am working through your books in order right now, one book at a time. I stopped david powers and will proceed with that when i finish your books as i know i will learn again oop in your books. I wanted to save the david powers more advanced stuff for later on before hitting hardcore into the yii books again.

I would say that you can't/shouldn't try to use a javascript framework without being somewhat clued up on javascript. It's not a case of reinventing the wheel, although I understand why you say to just use jquery. But to use it well and if you want to be able to use it on multiple sites with multiple plugins, that the cookbook possibly won't cover. Then you try to get a good understanding on js. Especially if you want to start using things like ajax.

Hey Edward. Thanks for the interest in the books and for the nice words. First, as Jonathon also said, you definitely need to know JavaScript before using jQuery. I know many people start using jQuery without formal knowledge of JavaScript, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. jQuery IS JavaScript, so trying to use jQuery without first learning JavaScript is like trying to learn calculus while skipping algebra.

The third edition of the PHP Advanced book probably won't be printed until July or August. A rough cuts version will be available before then, but it'll still be a couple of months.

I think the PHP & MySQL book provides sufficient MySQL (and SQL) for most people.

I would say that you can't/shouldn't try to use a javascript framework without being somewhat clued up on javascript. It's not a case of reinventing the wheel, although I understand why you say to just use jquery. But to use it well and if you want to be able to use it on multiple sites with multiple plugins, that the cookbook possibly won't cover. Then you try to get a good understanding on js. Especially if you want to start using things like ajax.

Why don't you concentrate on your own work rather than judging someone on what they can't/shouldn't do etc, when you don't even know anything about them.

Hey Edward. Thanks for the interest in the books and for the nice words. First, as Jonathon also said, you definitely need to know JavaScript before using jQuery. I know many people start using jQuery without formal knowledge of JavaScript, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. jQuery IS JavaScript, so trying to use jQuery without first learning JavaScript is like trying to learn calculus while skipping algebra.

The third edition of the PHP Advanced book probably won't be printed until July or August. A rough cuts version will be available before then, but it'll still be a couple of months.

I think the PHP & MySQL book provides sufficient MySQL (and SQL) for most people.

I have seven books on javascript if you want to know, so i am well aware of what it is. And for sure i know you have to know how to use javascript before you use jquery. I have used that validate.js plugin before, and for sure as i don't want to be remaking that code when its there already. You have a javascript book already, so the next one in the line would be jquery for using the skills we have learned in useful plugins which will help. I like reading your books so it would of been great if there was one of those available rather than having to read the O'Reilly JQuery Cookbook which i already have.

I have a lot of stuff to learn for major website, its going to take everything possible that php, mysql, javascript, css, html, opp, yii and the design patterns can do. Ive done books on php already but I'm pulling myself back a bit to go through your books carefully so i don't miss anything. Jquery would be a useful one for you thats all im saying for people that have to learn the majority of the stuff. Like you say more people go into Jquery first without learning javascript, so there you go, sounds like a good seller.

I'll just stick with the advanced php you have then, we will have to accept that at some point you can no longer help us anymore and we take care of things ourselves.

Why don't you concentrate on your own work rather than judging someone on what they can't/shouldn't do etc, when you don't even know anything about them.

Incredibly constructive Edward, you should have said you had 7 JavaScript books!!

Which brings me to my next point, if being as you have 7 JavaScript books, why do you need a cookbook on JQuery? (Rhetorical question)

As you may have noticed I stopped replying some time ago to your private messages, this will translate over to the forum also.

You are not the good soul as I thought you out to be. You act like Larry's teachers pet and have bashed me from my first few threads when you don't even know me. You get ego with people that try to do as yourself as you have with me now. I thought we may have something in common as you were using yii and working through some of the same books, but I was obviously wrong.