Larry Ullman's Book Forums
matthewpoll

Do I Need To Buy Ssl Certificates For Both Of The Examples

I am using a re-seller hosting account to learn this book.

1) In the first example, the paypal one, do I need to buy a SSL certificate to complete the example? What is the cheapest option (considering that I have a re-seller account & need to connect to paypal) ? Is the cheapest option to buy a static IP address (for £2 on my host) & then use openssl (my hosting supports) to create a self-signed certificate?

2) In the 2nd example, the one that briefly handles credit card information, what is the cheapest option? Considering that I am developing this site purely to learn & not sell products. Can I buy a static IP address (for £2 on my host) & use openssl (like before)? I know this wouldn't be secure for a commercially active site, but this site is 100% for learning.

Thank-you :)

I don't think you need SSL to practice either, although you'll need to make some code changes in the second example.

You can test all the PayPal without SSL.

Your webhost might give you free SSL (shared), but your user will get a warning when they access the page.