Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hi all, Im working with the coffee shop ex.

I cannot get the links to work that require the mod rewrite.

(I have tested that mod rewrite is enabled and working by putting up a basic example on its own and it worked).

I was trying to load all the files in a subdirectory, then a sub domain now I just have the files in the root and all I get in all tests is a page cannot be displayed error.

I feel like Im missing something here but cant tell what it is.

Is there something that needs to be changed from the download scripts - Im at a loss with this step.

Thanks for any input.

The problem gets even stranger,

Im running the coffee ex on two sites

Both hosted at the same place

both have the same hosting plans

The first test site I get page not found errors when clicking the coffee link

The second test site

I get the page /shop/coffee/ and see all the items

Then if I click a view all link I get the error page so its telling me its not writing something???

So am I spinning my wheels here trying to use the mod rewrite - Is it working for others?

Should I just convert the links or does it sound like a different issue?

Not understanding the differences between both sites on the same server?

Hello tryingtolearn,

I am sadly not particulary brilliant with complex mod_rewrite rules. You may see I have my own .htaccess question in the forum. But for people to understand and help you with your problem, you'dneed to show the rules being used in conjunction with the urls they are meant to be working on.

**Please put any code between

[code]// examples of code inside code tags, close the tag using '/' just like any other html element 

tags as its easier to read, theres also an option in "other styles" to add code**

;)

Thanks for the tip Jonathon

Its just the code straight from the book(well download section for the book).

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine on
# For sales:
RewriteRule ^shop/sales/?$ sales.php
# For the primary categories:
RewriteRule ^shop/([A-Za-z\+]+)/?$ shop.php?type=$1
# For specific products:
RewriteRule ^browse/([A-Za-z\+\-]+)/([A-Za-z\+\-]+)/([0-9]+)$ browse.php?type=$1&category=$2&id=$3
# For HTTPS pages:
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
RewriteRule ^(checkout\.php|billing\.php|final\.php|admin/(.*))$ https://%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [R=301,L]
</IfModule>

Guess a better question would be - Is producing links in this manner a reliable method?

It seems hit and miss since I get totally different results between two sites hosted at the same place w/ the same hosting plan.

But using straight mod rewrite like

RewriteRule ^/?testrw\.html$ testrw.php [L]

works fine on both sites.

you could go to testrw.html and get testrw.php instead.

So just wondering now if anyone has got this working out of the box, and if so - wonder what the difference is.

I think for reliability sake I need to just use the dynamic urls and take the hit on the SEO unless of course Im missing something somewhere.

Both sites Running on Linux

PHP ver 5.2.14

Both are residing in the root directory now.

First site that gives page cannot be displayed error

My link

Click Coffee Goodies Sales or any of the images

Second Site

My link

Coffee Goodies Sales all bring up the same items but then click one of those items and you get an error page.

Let me know if you need more info

Question. Do the files you are rewriting the URL to actually exist and are readable by browsers?

I have not gotten that far into the book yet but today I have been doing a lot of htaccess and mod_rewrite stuff.

Looking at both live examples it looks like the second example has same code as first site, have you done a line by line comparison in your editors or IDE to see what the actual differences are?

To me, not know any more than what you posted and looking at the results on your sites, it seems that the actual files sales.php, and whatever you are rewriting to for coffee, goodies don't actually exist or are not readable via browser.

Second Site:

http://www.acmaine.com/shop/sales/ <-- WORKS

http://www.acmaine.com/shop/sales.php <-- WORKS

First Site:

http://www.buythebead.com/shop/sales/ <-- NO WORK

http://www.buythebead.com/shop/sales.php <-- NO WORK

That is why I am thinking there is a file placement or permissions issue.

After looking at the htaccess code I see what is suppose to be happening and that the actual php files are not in the shop folder, if that folder exists. I am going to go back to reading the book, ignore my post above it doesn't apply to this.

If both sites have same hosting and are on same exact server then I wouldn't think it is a hosting config issue. You may want to verify that the sites are on same server, sometimes sites are not even in same hosting plan within cpanel.

I would rename the htaccess file on site one and copy the htaccess file from site two over and see if that works. If so then there maybe some funkiness with the htaccess file on site one, corrupted or not working due to uploaded in wrong format binary vs ascii etc... OR junk characters inserted from your editor or something.

Thanks Terry,

I have uploaded and reuploaded so many times trying to figure it out.

No luck.

Even on the site where the links go to a page and display it, it isnt displaying the correct items.

The goodies page should be showing the flower mug and red dragon mug.

Not the same coffee products as the coffee link.

Yes, The example I posted in post 4 works fine on both sites.

I put a ticket in to the server support just to verify and they gave me a canned response that mod rewrite is enabled and that I would have to troubleshoot the code.

and they cannot provide support for code yadayadayada

Im reading up on the apache site all about re_write

There has got to be something Im missing

The dynamic links are fine but I really like the idea of it being SEO friendlier this way

Plus - I really like learning the ins and outs

Hell spent a ton of time with PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites(2nd Edition) and thats what got me into learning all this in the first place.

So all in all its a positive!

Great books!

Sorry, I missed that you had said that in your earlier posts.

Okay, going with your second site, which seems to be working better, the URL http://www.acmaine.com/browse.php?type=coffee&category=Dark+Roast&id=2 works fine, showing no products found. But if you go to http://www.acmaine.com/browse/coffee/Dark+Roast/2, which should work, you get the error. Now the browse.php script shows that error if this conditional is false:

if (!$type || !$sp_type || !$sp_cat || !$category) {

So what you should do is echo out the values of all those variables in order to see which one is the problem. Then you can debug from there.

Thanks for the nice words on the books!

All 4 vars are blank when I echo them out.

So it still leads me to the rewrite rule not passing them.

Changing

RewriteRule ^browse/([A-Za-z\+\-]+)/([A-Za-z\+\-]+)/([0-9]+)$ browse.php?type=$1&category=$2&id=$3

to

RewriteRule ^browse/coffee/Dark+Roast/2$ browse.php?type=$1&category=$2&id=$3

hasnt worked either which it should for just that particular llink anyway.

I would contact your host and ask them to check your site and make sure it is configured correctly. Just looking and seeing if mod_rewrite is turned on doesn't really check if there is a config issue somewhere. Any solid host will go that extra step and verify this when you ask. My host actually goes so far as creating files and folders in the sites space to verify things are working.

if you create a php file with just phpinfo() and run it from within your site is php running as CGI or apache module? You should be able to see if mod_rewrite module shows up in the loaded modules but this does depend on how your host is configured. If all you ever get back from support is canned responses I would consider moving to a new host but that's just me. I would though make sure that your host does check out your account, there could be something screwy that is impacting that domain.

I used to have an account at dreamhost and they had a utility that you could manually run and it would check for any issues but that wasn't always 100% either, best to have a real person go in and check things over. If they wont, or you just get canned responses... My current host has a 800 number I can call, support tickets via email and live online chat. Support is critical when it comes to your sites, consider switching if you don't get any.

All 4 vars are blank when I echo them out.

So it still leads me to the rewrite rule not passing them.

Yes, that would suggest your rewrite rule is not working. But it's working for the shop/sales link, and it's working well enough to get to browse.php. It's the backreferences that aren't working. As Terry suggests, I would recommend going back to your hosting company. Because the rule itself is written correctly. Any hosting company worth their salt ought to be able to help some. And if they won't, what good will they be when a serious problem comes up?

RewriteRule ^browse/coffee/Dark+Roast/2$ browse.php?type=$1&category=$2&id=$3

hasnt worked either which it should for just that particular llink anyway.

Well, that's not going to work because you've got no groupings in the match to use as the values for backreferencing in the redirect.

Well they are not worth their salt as I got no love from them at all since they just kept saying that since the basic rules worked the server was configured properly.

So - I started looking into why the $_GET var wasnt getting passed in the "Pretty URL" style.

Turns out through much reading

multiviews is enabled on the server so

Apache is trying to find filename to map the path.

Causing shop/ or browse/ to become shop.php or browse.php prior to reaching the rewrite rule therefore not getting the match, the rule isnt executed.

So for the time being I added

Options -MultiViews

to the .htaccess file and presto - It is working now

working ex.

Thanks to both of you for sticking w/ the post - Its throwing ideas around that usually lead me in the right directions to explore the possibilities.

I really appreciate this forum!!!

Learned a bunch along the way.

Now Im just keeping my fingers crossed that by adding the line to the .htaccess I dont create a different problem as I go from here.

• Upvote 1