Larry Ullman's Book Forums

The Dashed Relational Database Line

Hi Larry, can you explain what the different is between the solid line and dashed line on the relational database diagrams. I didn't see anything mentioned on the dashed line, thought it may be way of representing relationship between key's but in some of your examples it didn't seem to follow in that particular case.

I apologize i should of been more articulate, pg 176 chapter 6, diagram H.

Why is there a dashed line on the far left side between the publishers and the books table but not between books_authors and authors.

What is the different between dashed and solid line?

I think I just clicked the wrong button when creating the lines for Figure G, which then were used for Figure H.

Thanks for addressing that, I am sorry I don't want to be a pain here but on pg.174, pg.177 and pg.178 we have the diagrams with only the dashed lines. Is that an error or is there a different meaning between solid and dashed lines?

In some people's designs, they may be making a distinction between dashed and solid lines. I was using a new tool to create these figures. I don't know what I did to create the solid or the dashed line but there is no meaning intended by either.

• Upvote 1