Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Header("Location") Redirects And Browser History Incompatibility Issues

Hey everyone,

I am running into issues using header("Location: x"), as the history (back/forward) buttons in browsers don't seem to keep track properly of the redirects.

It's complicated to put into words, so I made a screencast demonstrating the issue. Watch in full screen mode so you can see what I am doing. http://youtu.be/C2Fzkcp5kME

If anybody has a solution, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

Hello David,

I'll just say that I'm not entirely keen on embedded videos in forum posts (I prefer no media in the forum) and I don't really like spending 4 minutes watching a video in order to help.

That being said, I think this is just a poor use of header(). Loading random.php and then going to another page is just poor design. How about having your page choose a random user ID and create the random link to that user's profile? Then it's a literal link and it should work in the browser's history.

Larry, thanks!! I'll implement your suggestion. I didn't do it originally because I wanted to avoid adding an extra mysql query (to grab a random user_id) to every single page load, but I guess its the better way to go.