Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Im a beginner. On page 225 of the book it speaks about compatibility of PHP 6 and earlier versions. I dont think there is a PHP 6, is this right? (looked on Wilkipedia!)

Im using

PHP version 5.3.8

MySQL version 5.5.16

Apache version 2.2.21

Will I have problems with these?

Bill

Larry has mentioned this many times, but when he wrote the book, PHP 6 was set on being released, but for a variety of reasons it never was.

However, to my knowledge, all the stuff mentioned in the book is available in the latest versions of PHP, even though they're not called PHP 6.

As I said at the top, on my pc are these versions.

PHP version 5.3.8

MySQL version 5.5.16

Apache version 2.2.21

however, my service provider has these

PHP v 3.3.3

MySQL v5.1.2

no mention of Apache

NOW, will I have problems?

I think I am connecting to the server easily enough, and can SELECT and display the results in HTML, but am now having great difficulty in INSERTING data. Is it the versions please?

Bill

You can definitely insert data fine (assuming the syntax is correct). The only things you might not be able to do is access some of the newest PHP functions, like the filter functions, etc.

If you go to the PHP page, they should have a list of changes across versions.

Regardless, inserting data will not be a problem.

Well, not from Japan, but living in Japan. From Columbus, OH in America.

Anyway, I quite often have issues with SQL queries as well because I forget the syntax. One thing that works well for me is to load up phpMyAdmin, go to the SQL tab, and try to execute base queries from there to check the syntax and results.

Also, doing a quick Web search for "SQL INSERT" should give you lots of relevant hits on the syntax. As it turns out, there are multiple ways to write INSERT queries.

One thing that works well for me is to load up phpMyAdmin, go to the SQL tab, and try to execute base queries from there to check the syntax and results.
I do this too - its a quick way to determine if your MySQL syntax is correct and if your variables are of the correct data type.