Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Coffee And Coding!

Every so often I give up things just to know that I can. I would have a hard time giving up coffee! I'm not big on coffee brands, though. I buy what's reasonably priced. I do like Seattle's Best, I don't care for Starbucks, and I love Kona Earth!

• Upvote 1

I need coffee in the mornings to function properly. I prefer really black and aromatic coffee, and love a strong Espresso. Also use a Swedish tobacco called "Snus" which is excellent with coffee. It's similar to your chewing tobacco, but you place it under you upper lip instead. I also very often want coffee after dinner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus

Any smokers here? Sure you can relate to the tobacco and coffee combination. :)

• Upvote 1

I need coffee in the mornings to function properly. I prefer really black and aromatic coffee, and love a strong Espresso. Also use a Swedish tobacco called "Snus" which is excellent with coffee. It's similar to your chewing tobacco, but you place it under you upper lip instead. I also very often want coffee after dinner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus

Any smokers here? Sure you can relate to the tobacco and coffee combination. :)

Its a similar thing with me i like to get some after waking up to pick myself up. My favorite brand is SegaFredo Espresso its an Arabica mix, its one of the strongest coffee's, ive also got the illy but don't like it too much. Arabica is good also as it can help to prevent cancer. I know some people here that drink the coffee up till going to sleep but me i just do one morning and midday.

I don't smoke, hey i have never seen any Norwegian's chewing tabacco?

Every so often I give up things just to know that I can. I would have a hard time giving up coffee! I'm not big on coffee brands, though. I buy what's reasonably priced. I do like Seattle's Best, I don't care for Starbucks, and I love Kona Earth!

That's cool Larry, i knew there must be something else behind finishing those 22 books that you done. Can you tell me Larry, what is the big think about Blue Bottle coffee over there, is it any good?

• Upvote 1

It's Swedish tobacco. I know Camel, Lucky Strike and some other brands has started selling swedish snus in the US as well. It's similar to chewing tobacco, but not the same. It's generally considered better health wise, and also a lot better for your mouth. Our tobacco does not require spitting neither. As said, you generally use it under you upper lip instead of the bottom. Read the wiki link if you are interested. :)

Scandinavia is generally very heavy on coffee consumption. We drink in average double the amount of coffee per person to USA as seen here: http://chartsbin.com/view/581

Some of this is probably because of our cold climate. It's easily minus 20-30 degrees Celsius in the winter. (-4 to -22 Fahrenheit)

My father smokes a pipe so i generally stay away from tobacco and related stuff, but thanks for the knowledge is nice to hear about it.

That's awesome Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Denmark and the Netherlands are top of the chart for coffee consumption, i knew i had the Norwegian in me. Ha

Where i am right now its the opposite to you we have whether between 30 - 40 degrees, and we drink Ice Latte Espressos, one day you gotta try one of these.

I like to make my own coffee at home. Nescafe is a preaty good coffee ('if you don't mind instant brand'); with vanilla coffee mate creamer... mmmm im gonna make one right now...

Been reading my php mysql book since 3:45 and its already 9:00pm...

:)

I like to make my own coffee at home. Nescafe is a preaty good coffee ('if you don't mind instant brand'); with vanilla coffee mate creamer... mmmm im gonna make one right now...

Been reading my php mysql book since 3:45 and its already 9:00pm...

:)

You have good concentration, i can probably make it about 1 hour 15 minutes before my mind starts drifting off a book. Ive had hazelnut and strawberry mixed in with coffee before, vanilla sounds tasty.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not a big fan of drinking hot coffee but I used to drink Nescafe, you certainly won't see me in a Cafe shop paying $$$. In Australia Iced Coffee is a big thing, you get it in cartons it's nothing like the Cafe iced coffee that comes with ice cubes/ice cream. Sadly I moved interstate 10+ years ago and they don't ship my favourite brand here :(

I like to "give up" every now and then, always feel better afterwards but... the taste is good! Technically I'm drinking "Mocha" Iced Coffee these days to help get off Coffee and stay off it.

Coffee thick shakes are good too!