Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Game Programming

About 16 years ago i coded my own games in C. Is C++ language to be learning for this stuff kind of stuff today or something like Java? What is C# is that different to C++? Ive been out of this so long i have no idea whats going on with it anymore?

Sometimes i get a little tired of HTML and this PHP stuff so i thought it would be nice to do a bit of that for fun.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I do believe games are written in C++ and less so in Java. Again, could be wrong, and it would depend upon the destination, of course. C# is a variant of C++ developed by Microsoft. It's a really nice language, and more of a true object-oriented language than C++. I believe it's primarily used for .NET, and I don't even know if C# is used outside of windows.

I actually met the guy that created C# some years ago when I was in Redmond. I did a bit of C# ASP.NET programming after that, but not much or for long.

You can write games in Java, but I don't think it's the language of choice. Haven't really played that much with images yet, but standard drawing works good. Not really my field there.

My girlfriend has a class in game programming this year. They code in a C# framework called Microsoft Xna. The games coded are easily run on computers, Xbox360 and maybe some other gadgets. (So you are onto something here, Larry and Edward)

Back 15 years ago, the most technical thing i used was DirectX libraries to setup the screen modes and stuff. I have done my fair share of programming in C with DOS 320 x 200, 640 x 480 linear memory screen modes. I know we need to learn Object Orientated Programming fully at one time, but check this book out http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-C-Through-Game-Programming/dp/1435457420/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337008447&sr=8-1. That's definitely a cool way to be learning it.

That just sound slow! :P

I remember one of those games from I was little. You played as two monkeys throwing bananas at each other. Kind of like multiplayer angry birds. Crappy resolution and it did only run in dos, but I really liked it. My granddad had to do some "magic" every time before we could play it. Oh, the good old games. I still play my Nintendo Nes from time to to. Great memories!

• 3 weeks later...

There are so many options to code games these days but C++ is the industry standard for all AAA game titles. C# with XNA can be used to make games for the desktop, windows phone 7 and the Xbox. However, you won't be able to make games using XNA for Windows 8 Metro.

Java was used to create the popular game Minecraft. You can use Flash/ActionScript as well as HTML/JavaScript to create games primarily for the browser and mobile devices.

If you want to make small network multiplayer games then C# or Java would probably be your best choice. Personally I am learning C# at the moment. There are a lot of great books on Flash game development that teach the core concepts of Game Programming. Not many updated books on C# that I have found.

Games Programming is definitely more fun than Web Programming, IMO :D

• 4 months later...

C# is a distinct language from C++. C++ is designed for general object oriented programming in the days when the typical computer was a standalone machine running a command line-based user interface. C++ is a general-purpose programming language with high-level and low-level capabilities

C# http://csharp.net-informations.com is a somewhat upgraded version of C++, but not necessarily as powerful.

C# was mostly created by Microsoft I believe, to make C++ easier to use.

In C#, like in Java, all your objects are created with new. In C++ you can create objects that way or you can create them on the heap.

In C#, like with Java, the basic language is fairly straightforward. What you need to learn is the libraries. In C++ you also need to learn to use the libraries.

Vayne.

• Upvote 1