Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Mail Function Doesn'T Seem To Send Email After I Register Or If I Reset An Email...

This could be me being a total newbie, but when I was testing the registration and the reset password pages, I don't receive an email when testing both pages.

I registered three email addresses and the validation email didn't arrive for any of them. Everything else works for me as it is supposed to, but it seems to be a problem with the mail function. To my novice eyes it looks correct.

I won't bother to post all of the page code, except for the mail function from the registration.php page. Is there any reason why this function won't send a validation email?

// Send a separate email?

$body = "Thank you for registering at <whatever site>. Blah. Blah. Blah.\n\n";

mail($_POST['email'], 'Registration Confirmation', $body, 'From: admin@example.com');

You will need to confirm that your host is set up for sending emails. If you're running this on a localhost using xampp/mamp, sending emails is not supported. There is a way to configure it to send emails but I have never tried it.

• 4 months later...

I have been restesting that area of my site and was having the same problem. However, I am working live. This script was working fine for over a year and had never had a problem with this.

I contacted my server and they said that I had been blocked because one of my mailboxes was sending out over 670 emails per hour. This was certainly not something that I was doing and there was no way that I was sending out even one per week from that particular mailbox.

They have said that they have unblocked me and the script seems to be working again.

This script, however, didn't seem to be working from the Knowlege is Power site either. It seems like our host servers do not make things easy for us.

Marie