Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Just Finished Chapter 2, Yeah, I'M Slow....

Chapter 2 was interesting. I learned about the new HTML 5 doctype and some new elements and attributes.

Validating a login form, nothing new for me except for the new HTML5 elements validate themselves, very interesting, and if you don't have "novalidate" attribute in the form element, your javascript validation code will not execute!

By the way, that attribute was not in the form of the downloaded code for chapter 2. Just a heads up for others.

I would not suggest using code you find online, for the security reasons, just base your code around the same concept. I use code created by others just to get an idea on where to begin when trying to solve a problem in a web application.

Good point about being wary about code you get/find online. I do the same thing.

I like to look at code online to get ideas, and once I get the concept, recode everything my way.

Also, no shame in taking things slowly. As long as you're understanding everything, that's what's important.

I really like the new HTML5 attributes that allow you to validate form input, but honestly, they seem a bit useless so long as we (as Web developers) still have to support older browsers that don't support HTML5.

• 1 month later...

#HartleySan, I am for forcing everyone to get an updated computer so everyone will have an HTML5 compatible browser! Hey, if Facebook can force Timeline on everyone...... haha.

Just finished chapter 7. I noticed that a few examples looked a lot like jQuery. :-)

Yeah, so long as you force everyone to use Firefox or Chrome, I think you'll be fine. IE9 is pretty good too, although IE8 is still a bit shaky with some things.

Also, yeah, I recall a fair amount of jQuery and YUI JS code in Larry's examples. I guess it makes sense, given the prevalence of JS libraries these days.

I feel like whenever I look for JS code online, I find examples written in jQuery more often then vanilla JS.

Yeah, so long as you force everyone to use Firefox or Chrome, I think you'll be fine. IE9 is pretty good too, although IE8 is still a bit shaky with some things.

In my personal project that I am re-learning javascript for I will be using jQuery so I will not have to worry too much about browser issues!

Also, yeah, I recall a fair amount of jQuery and YUI JS code in Larry's examples. I guess it makes sense, given the prevalence of JS libraries these days.

I feel like whenever I look for JS code online, I find examples written in jQuery more often then vanilla JS.

Its nice to know how to code plain javascript to use it like one of the libraries out today, so you can understand how they coded the library. But I don't think I will be doing that much myself. I will just use jQuery or Modernizer for my web projects.

My view may change by the time I finish Larry's book but not yet.