Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Yii Ebook

Edward

Hey Larry, how are you?

I am writing this to you here as i don't want to cause you to get some unnecessary steam in a pm. I apologize i haven't been asking any questions in here recently, i am up to chap 17 of your PHP and MySQL 4th edition book. The book has been so well written it being 4th edition also that i didn't have any questions regarding any of the topics. I loved the Jquery and regular expressions chap they were very easy to follow, great stuff. After finishing this book and coffee shop in Effortless Ecommerce i will use the skills i have from these to build a basic working version of the site i would like to build for a few months, rather than learning more and forgetting stuff.

One thing i want to ask you? Will your new Object Orientated Advanced book be enough to move straight onto your yii framework book and hence to use the yii framework book? Or would we have to still need to read David Powers OOP book as well.

I also wanted to tell you that i absolutely hate ebooks, and seriously beg you to consider getting your yii book published as well.

Advantage of your books:

1. We can work through the book at the same time as we work on our computer, without having to switch screens back and forth. (I guess this point is debable between Windows and Mac users but regardless most of us our Windows users)

2. We can put the book on our shelf for others to read, not just put it into trash as other deleted files end up.

3. We can look at the book and think, i did that one. (We can even tell our son or daughter, or family members we done that book)

4. We can put it next to all the other Larry Ullman books we have (currently 5 for me)

5. The book doesn't require a battery to work therefore if we are on a train or plane we can still read the book (some planes even tell you to turn of electrical devices)

6. Lastly books are special, i always find magic in turning the pages.

Please please please Larry, i am sure there are others that will feel the same way as me about this. Please get it published.

Hello Edward. Thanks for the continued nice words on my books and for the interest. In answer to your questions, yes the new "PHP Advanced and Object-Oriented Programming" book would provide more than enough OOP knowledge to read the Yii book.

Thanks, too, for your thoughts on printed books vs ebooks. I, too, largely prefer printed books and can appreciate your perspective on this issue. However, from my perspective, printing a physical book is an entirely different thing. First, I'd need to find an acceptable printer. Then I'd need to make sure that I output the book in a format that's exactly precise. Then I'd need to spend thousands of dollars up front. Then I'd need to warehouse the minimum print run required by the printer. Then I'd need to individually handle the shipping of each book, which is a terrible use of my time.

Even if it'd make sense for me to do all that, a physical book would mean two things for you. One, it'd be months later before you could start reading it, like January or February 2013 as opposed to August/September 2012. Also, part of my plan with the ebook is to be able to easily reissue corrected versions. With a printed book, there would be a disincentive to do that.

I'm not saying that I'll never do a print book, just that it's unlikely. I appreciate the input on the subject, though.

Seriously? You'd give me thousands of dollars just to print a hard copy of the book? Are you like independently wealthy or something? If you're that serious about it, then send me a PM and we'll discuss what this would mean.

No, I most certainly do not know the real Edward. In fact, I gather that's not your name. Moreover, the fact that I don't know you and that we've had, shall we say, some rocky times, would be reasons not to enter into a business venture with you, don't you think?

Wouldn't it be financially more practical for you to buy the PDF version of the book and then have that printed and bound?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the interest. I'll be working on the book starting in August. I plan on making the book available (to people that purchase it) as I write it. It should be available for purchase and download in September, although it'll continue to be written over a couple of more months.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Edward. Thanks for the interest. I'm behind schedule, but doing okay. By the end of this week, I hope to have Part 1 of the book done (plus the introduction). That's:

Ch 1: Fundamental Concepts

Ch 2: Starting a New Application

Ch 3: A Manual for Your Site

Ch 4: Initial Customizations and Code Generation

About 25,000 words all told.

The Web site for selling book is in beta format. The most rudimentary functionality is in place.

Hoping I should be able to start selling the book within the next two weeks or thereabouts.

• Upvote 1

Thanks i can't tell you how grateful i am. Don't be too hard on yourself, these books of yours are coming out fast, its hard for us all to keep up. I think this Yii eBook is going to be your most useful book up to date because this is book is about applying all we have learned so far PHP, MySQL and Javascript then coding it into a stable environment ready for deployment.

• 1 month later...

Hi Larry sir,

i am newbie on yii, and i was waiting for a long time to learn yii with this kind of book. and i want to do my next project in yii, please please finish the book soon.. now i learned all pages top to bottom to gii .. but i need more to start my project, so that i can put my hands on it... please make sir i am waiting ...... :) thanks in advance