Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Integrating Wordpress With Php And Mysql

Please kindly note the following question:

Is it possible to integrate a Wordpress blog with a PHP and MySQL site (e.g., one running an e-commerce component) such that the following is possible:

1. the Wordpress blog is log-in secured through PHP and MySQL

2. articles to the wordpress blog are sent from the PHP site to Wordpress through an admin interface (kind of like a CMS system) that the user (who doesn't know any programming) would utilize?

In short, is it possible to seamlessly integrate communications between Wordpress and PHP/MySQL? If so, how could this be accomplished?

Thank you very much for your time.

1. the Wordpress blog is log-in secured through PHP and MySQL

I believe so. You'd just need the PHP code to send the same authentication (cookie/session) that WordPress would.

2. articles to the wordpress blog are sent from the PHP site to Wordpress through an admin interface (kind of like a CMS system) that the user (who doesn't know any programming) would utilize?

Yes, just have PHP update the same database.

In short, is it possible to seamlessly integrate communications between Wordpress and PHP/MySQL? If so, how could this be accomplished?

Yes, but it will take excellent knowledge of how WordPress internally works.

Thank you very much for the very kind, generous, and helpful advice, Sonal and Larry! I know that lynda.com offers a great month-to-month subscription that offers extensive video tutorials on various tools, such as Wordpress, MySQL, and PHP. Do you have any recommendations for where else I might be able to go to get versed on Wordpress's internal structure.

(By the way, Larry, I enjoyed your books so much that I'm now enrolling in a Comp Sci degree program with a Web programming specialization--thank you for the inspiration and excellent materials!)