Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Eval And Parsejson()

Hello,

I am unsure exactly how potentially problematic the eval function is. But I have heard that before and so I think I wshould err on the side of caution and use parseJSON().

But I wondered what other people thought of this.

Also can I check i'm using thios function right in this book the code is:

var data = eval('(' + ajax.responseText + ')');

I tried to use parseJSON() like so:

var data =  ajax.responseText.parseJSON();

But my results don't show up, what am I doing wrong? (They did work using eval)

Most likely the data you are returning from the PHP file is not in the right format.

I have read a bit about this topic, and honestly, I think the best solution is to simply return a string in the format of a JS object declaration. For example, if we wanted to declare the following object in JS:

var oCar1 = {

iWheels : 4,

iTopSpeed : 120

};

Then we could return a similar string in PHP as follows:

$iWheels = 4;

$iTopSpeed = 120;

echo '{ iWheels : ' . $iWheels . ', iTopSpeed : ' . $iTopSpeed . ' }';

And then back in your Ajax response event, do the following:

var oCar1 = oAjax.responseText;

The following site talks more about JSON, which you seem to already be familiar with:

http://www.json.org/

Anyway, I just as well figure that avoiding the use of eval() and paraseJSON() altogether is best.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your reply. I see what you've done there. But the php file search_results_json.php works. It justs doesn't using the parseJSON command. So the way I'm using the parseJSON must be wrong??I think the rest of the file is ok as it worked using eval.

Hello,

I think XAMPP comes installed with json support, i checked and it says its enabled

json version 1.2.1

I couldn't find out what library it is though (maybe there isn't one).

I have been looking at my header. Because I note in your search_results_json.php that you don't have the header in (well i couldn't see it). Mine has it in because it's in the book. Except I get this really strange thing happen. If I leave it it and load the page my computer tries to open the file through my text editor??? This doesn't happen with any other files in my localhost. But if i take this header out

header("Content-type: application/json");

then I get the below code returned when i use this url

http://localhost/ajax/search_results_json.php?last_name=f

[{"name":"Fisher, Sam","department":"Marketing","email":"sam@thiscompany.com"},{"name":"Ford, Zoe","department":"Accounting","email":"zoe@thiscompany.com"},{"name":"Fugate, Nat","department":"Redundancy Department","email":"nat@thiscompany.com"}]

but my form returns no results using parseJSON() but eval() works.

The error log I have checked already adn the only thing it says is that there is no script tags when the header isn't included. :huh:

Okay, even if XAMPP comes with JSON installed, and I'm not sure what that means in this case, you still need a parseJSON library installed. And your script needs to include the parseJSON JavaScript library and then call the proper method of the proper class. Don't get distracted by the header(). Right now, if you want to use parseJSON(), you need to focus on choosing, installing, and using a proper parseJSON library.

Okay, even if XAMPP comes with JSON installed, and I'm not sure what that means in this case, you still need a parseJSON library installed. And your script needs to include the parseJSON JavaScript library and then call the proper method of the proper class. Don't get distracted by the header(). Right now, if you want to use parseJSON(), you need to focus on choosing, installing, and using a proper parseJSON library.

Ahh ok, thanks Larry, i'll get on to this as I would like the option to be able to use parseJSON() as i'm a little weary of eval() because it gets a bit of bad press

Thanks Larry as always

Jonathon