Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Yii 2.0

Edward

Larry did you say your new Yii book would be based on Yii 2.0? I can't find a downloadable version of Yii 2.0 and they say on the yiiframework.com site that they still have a lot to do to finish. So how can you write for something that is not even complete? Also because Yii 2.0 will be a complete rewrite of Yii 1 does that mean that the other two books plus your old tutorials will be invalid for this new framework? Do you know when when Yii 2.0 will be officially released?

Yes, the book will be based upon Yii 2. Yii 2 is not yet available, but I believe an alpha version will go up next month. Some of the other two books and my tutorials will undoubtedly be invalid for Yii 2, but I don't know how much.

The creator of Yii will be the tech editor for the book, so I'm working closely with him in terms of both timing and specifics of Yii 2.

• Upvote 1

Excellent Larry, really excited about working on something new like this, i have been reading all over about Yii 2, sounds like a big improvement on the first. If you can include Yii of how to do the same stuff as in your books that would be awesome.

Larry i read this on the YiiFramework.com site:

http://www.yiiframework.com/download/

Our next major release Yii 2.0 will be full rebuilt on top of PHP 5.3.0+, leveraging the new language features as well as the feedback we have received on 1.1.

Yii 2.0 will not be compatible with 1.1. However, we will try every effort to make the transition as easy as possible.

If you have a new project to develop on Yii, do not wait for 2.0 as it will still take considerable time to reach the production quality.

The last line is quite scarey, so what does that mean exactly was this a comment written a long time ago, is it okay for us to wait for Yii 2?

I'm not sure what's so scary about that line. It's an honest statement about the state of the framework. It'll be out in alpha soon and it will take some time for it to be production ready. So if you have to do a project now and you want to use Yii, go ahead and use Yii 1.1.

I thought, based upon your diary, that you're not using a framework, though.

I think i could call this a bit more than a project what i am considering to do, projects are built and finished, this is something that isn't going to stop being built, its literally impossible to finish. One point that has just come to my mind is that when i start to employ people to work with me, it would probably better in this situation to use a documented framework otherwise i would have to document my own, which i already don't have time for. Having Yii documentation already done would save my people time. The other reason is that i already have to write my own classes for the structure of the site, so i have little time for this, if i have to write helper classes as well, its going to be more tough. It looks like i have no choice but to give in to Yii 2. So now i am bashing away at getting OOP firmly gripped, believe me Mr Larry, i will be pinching you on all the points in that Yii 2 when it comes up from start to finish, i want to know exactly how the whole structure works. I don't mean it in a bad way but i will be counting on you. I was thinking of sending you some kind of present this Christmas, but will have to see how you do. Thanks Larry.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks this blog post was very useful. I will go with what you are teaching, if Yii 1 does the job i may go with that, on the other hand if the Yii 2 has some good reason that we should dedicate our project it, i will hold on. I am working through your javascript book now, you have made everything easy as with your other books. Great book.

Okay sounds good, i am going to rerun through the Jeffrey Winesett Agile Web Application Development with Yii 1.1 and PHP5 just before your stuff starts. Look forward to hearing the contents, hope you are going to make this easy for us, i actually think myself that Yii is pretty hard to understand what is going on, its very strict. I have confidence that with your LU style that we should be able to catch this.

Ive just seen your new books contents, the contents are awesome, i love this statement.

"The first is to help readers understand why you do things in certain ways. In other words, I want the reader to fully understand what’s going on behind the scenes so that he or she appreciates the context for whatever bit of code. This big picture approach is what I think is missing among the current documentation. The second goal is to demonstrate common tasks using real-world examples."

Like i was saying earlier Qiang may write all these classes with methods knowing himself what they are for but for other they may not know how to put these together. I have seen people on the Yiiframework forum stating how they managed to get their stuff working with a few of a classes methods but just left out the others. This is the one thing that kind of puts me of about it but i am prepared to give it a try anyway.

Sorry i forgot to add, after seeing what you have coming up i am going to live the other Yii book so i don't get myself confused. I'll continue working through the JS book.