Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Yii 2 - Inside Knowledge

Edward

Hey Larry, I was wondering if you would know this, will Yii 2 be completely in HTML5, since this is the new standard for HTML?

Also any feedback from the big boys at Yii 2 on when the alpha will be coming out? Eager to get started learning this.

When I talk about html5 I was talking about whether it would be placed in the yii header rather than traditional, I meant no more than that. Your going to be teaching something that no one can even use until there is a stable release which could be end of next year, I need some confidence about this framework otherwise I might as well use zend or codeignitor.

As for the Yii stable release date, you have no basis for saying it could be the end of next year. Could it? Sure. It could also be the end of this year. Or January. Or never. We're talking about using software that's in development. This is no different than using an application or an operating system that's in development.

If what you need is production-ready code today and in the very near future, then use Yii 1. Or use Zend or CodeIgnitor if you'd rather. Or whatever framework you want.

If you're looking for confidence, it's very simple: if you're starting a project now, or in the near future, use Yii 1 (or something else). The site being created to sell my Yii book will be written in Yii 1, because it needs to be ready now. It's no more complicated than that.

• Upvote 1

So you are no longer doing Yii 2? You are doing this for Yii 1 because it needs to be ready now? I see now that Zend are also trying to get a stable release of their version 2. I will be honest i wouldn't mind settling on Yii Version 1 as it looks easy to follow and i really like Alex M's cook book. I hope you will be doing version 1 Larry, do let me know?

Check this out: yii/protected/views/layout/main.php

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="language" content="en" />
<!-- blueprint CSS framework -->
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo Yii::app()->request->baseUrl; ?>/css/screen.css" media="screen, projection" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo Yii::app()->request->baseUrl; ?>/css/print.css" media="print" />
<!--[if lt IE 8]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo Yii::app()->request->baseUrl; ?>/css/ie.css" media="screen, projection" />
<![endif]-->
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo Yii::app()->request->baseUrl; ?>/css/main.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo Yii::app()->request->baseUrl; ?>/css/form.css" />
<title><?php echo CHtml::encode($this->pageTitle); ?></title>
</head>

In that case it will be Yii 2 i will be learning then, so i want to keep on the same tracks. Every author and coder has their own opinions on how things should be done, i like what you have done so far so i would like to keep learning more. I have compared codeignitor to Yii and i thought there code was pretty basic in comparison, i like hardcore oop code, i feel that is the right style for me. I told you i done maths before, in order to get the highest marks we had to always simplify each equation or expression to its simplest form. So if i see the long winded procedural code by second nature i can see something is wrong.