Larry Ullman's Book Forums

The New Look

I really like the new on the home page larryullman.com, its much clearer. But that picture of yours its a retouch right, your eyes are much lighter in the real life, blue or grey right? Just saw Jason Statham in Expendables 2 the other week ago.

Hi Larry,

I hadn't seen your 'New Design' post so when I accessed your site earlier today at a cafe I was surprised to see a new design. I like the new design alot on a laptop but I hope you don't mind my saying that it doesn't work well on a mobile phone which I often use to access your forum. Here are my comments:

1. The mobile screen is completely filled with your logo and a lot of white space, it almost looks like a holding page.

2. You have to scroll a long way to get to the nav bar and there is no link to the forum. Actually I just found the link to the forum but the little icon which expands the menu is too close to the rss icon and therefore not recognisable as being a link. I know its the same icon that facebook uses but I'm not sure everyone will recognise it for what it is. I would suggest making it bigger and giving it some breathing room.

3. I would be inclined to show a summary of the latest blog post as you do in the laptop version rather than the whole article, but I appreciate that would be contradictory to your objectives.

I'm in the process of redesigning my own website from an rwd perspective so I would be interested to hear any particular challenges you faced.

The home page is looking so much better now you've removed the social network links and given post titles and intros a bit of white space.

From a user point of view I'd personally like to see categories and perhaps tags under the search form input in the right sidebar.

On Android, the Amazon flash widget is a real pain: takes up lots of space and doesn't work; I'd prefer not to see it at all on a mobile screen. I should be honest though and mention that I don't like the Amazon widget at all!

I'm not keen on the 13px font size for post intros and main text, perhaps I'm just used to the adoption of 16px as the new norm on other blogs.

Obviously, it's your design, you have to go with what you like and what works for what you're trying to achieve, but I thought some usability feedback would be useful.

Edit:

On the forum, would be really handy to have the recent topics at the top of the sidebar, instead of having to scroll down to find it.

Thanks for the input, Rob! I never wanted the sharing links under each post on the home page; just took me a while to figure out how to do that. The categories are under the middle column in the footer; will think about adding tags.

As for the Amazon widget, I'll take some advice on this one. The problem I'm trying to solve is that more and more people are coming to my blog without knowing about my books (previously, people only came to my site because of the books). So I would like those people to be aware of my books, and possibly by some (i.e., "Boy, this post was good, I would definitely by a book from this person.") I'd like everyone else to buy books, too. And I get a couple of bucks if people go to Amazon using my affiliate ID. So I'm trying to figure out how to give my books some prominence, although I agree the current solution isn't great. Thoughts on that?

An updated forum look is in the works next.

Thanks again!

I agree with those that say the mobile version could be improved a little. Very much white space in the header. Also took me a long time to locate the navigation. Maybe some text along with the icon would help? Not really sure how to improve that.

Besides that, I think it looks great. Even better on a PC.