Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Just want to make this post to say tomorrow i will be buying this book from Amazon, i have been waiting for this for a long time I currently have the 2nd edition but since i know there was a 3rd edition coming out i decided to wait for it, i know i have made the right decision. I have finished PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites Fourth Edition, anything with PHP and MySQL i can now build with ease. My aim with this new book is to work through mostly the Object-Orientated Programming chapters to get geared up for Larry's Yii eBook which is coming out next month.

Now i just hope Amazon will get this book to me by the end of next week. :)

I started this edition on Safari Online Books a couple of weeks ago and so far its going well (though I have little time at the moment to give it a proper read). Having bought the previous edition less than 6 months ago, I'm reluctant to purchase it, but I may as I find Larry's books good sources for reference as well as learning.

I'm looking forward to your comments.

I was unaware it was available before this, but i prefer learning from paperbacks. Ive checked out the contents for me i have to do about 330pages to cover most of the stuff i need for now, the rest ill learn later on. Ive done OOP stuff in another book and already use my own classes but i will give Larry's a read to brush up on it before starting the Yii stuff. I am looking forward to learning about the MOD REWRITE, its difficult to get that stuff well explained anywhere.

I got my book in yesterday from Amazon it was shipped on Tuesday and arrived on Friday, not bad for being i am on the other side of the World. The 3rd Edition is an improvement on the 2nd Edition, the opening cover is very warm and welcoming. Do you know what the Egyptian Hieroglyphics actually mean? I can see a guy see one guy holding an Eagle, one guy that looks like he is reaching or trying to make a decision on whether he should use the knife or ancient crowbar that is above his head. Another guy either making a soup or washing his hands, a guy possibly a teacher like you writing on his blackboard, and another guy on the far left column is pointing his finger. Whatever these guys are doing its interesting to try and interpret this.

I also noticed that you added the OOP design patterns chapter in, I really appreciate that, it was one of my early recommendations for this book thank you for listening to me.

Well the book is perfect and it smells good to, well i will be starting this first thing on monday, can't wait.

Well done Larry, thanks Again for your Awesomeness.

• 1 month later...

I finished with the book now, i done up to Page 325, i found this book easier compared to the first PHP and MySQL 4th Edition. I found the only part that i had to stop and think about was recursion a function calling itself and had to write out the steps of the example on paper before i worked it out. I am very happy with the OOP stuff, i couldn't write procedural code anymore now it no longer feels right, this is like going from two handed back to one handed in Tennis, once you get a grip with one hand there is no going back.

Yes its a very nice book all the OOP stuff was explained well the only other thing i would have like to have seen a little more of was class magic methods. Okay now its time to get coding for the next 4 months, ill update my project diary soon.

Oh by the way, i like the way you could load PDO objects directly into a class that is extremely useful.