Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Installing Pear On Mac. 10.6.6 With Mamp

Hi,

UPDATE pear seems to be installed correctly (the test file recommended on pear website works in my installation) but when I try the login.php file from chapter 4 I am getting an error. There is details of that error in my first REPLY (i.e. not the OP) on this other thread My link

I'm totally lost trying to install Pear on my Mac 10.6.6. (with MAMP installed ...PHP 5.3, MySQL 5.5.9).

Note, I'm basically incompetent with command line so if you can help please explain as clearly as possible

Someone at www.stackoverflow.com said I try

curl pear.php.net/go-pear.phar > go-pear.phar

This seemed to complete a download. After that I was told to

sudo php go-pear.phar

it asked for my password, which I entered, but then it just output

????Michael-Mitchells-MacBook-Pro:~ michaelmitchell$

Any ideas what I can do from here?

Update, I found a recent blog post (linked below) that addresses this ????? issue when working with Phar files in OS. It tells me to set my ini directive

detect_unicode = Off

but I'm not 100% sure how to do this, and then once it's done, how to continue

http://technosophos.com/content/php-phar-command-line-errors-os-x-running-php-somephar-generates

Update

I typed

detect_unicode = Off

in my php.ini file but still had the same ?????? output. I'm not sure if I put detect_unicode = Off correctly in the file. I just opened it up and typed it in.

Any ideas anyone? As you can see from the image below, the pear files are in my directory but because I couldn't do

sudo php go-pear.phar

I don't think it's function.

Even though there are some Pear files, they are all in the bin folder and Larry's scripts are in htdocs. Is this how they're supposed to be set up?

bin.jpg

pear.jpg