Larry Ullman's Book Forums

"The Yii Book" Now Available

Larry

"The Yii Book" by Larry Ullman now available for purchase at http://yii.larryullman.com

The site is kind of in beta, but it's been tested and should be working properly. Let me know if you have any problems at all.

The book is currently in version 0.2, with the introduction plus Part 1 (four chapters) done. It's available in these formats: PDF, epub, mobi. English only.

For any questions, see the FAQ page (http://yii.larryullman.com/faq.php).

Thanks to everyone for their interest!

Larry

• Upvote 1

Thanks to both of you on the feedback. I’m having a soft release (i.e., not on my main site, not on Twitter) to catch bugs. I fixed the FAQ issue and fixed a bug with error messages when Stripe declines a card. (I hope that's fixed, anyway.)

And thanks for the order!

My order went right through. I had no problems.

I suggest you do something with the feedback form, as the textarea is very narrow. Only thing I've noticed so far.

I brewed myself a can of coffee and I'm looking forward to reading now.

Edit:

YII is up and running now. Found out OSX is shipped with PHP and Apache natively, so I activated that and changed my web directory to {user}/Sites/ some weeks ago. Had to alter the default timezone as it was not set, but other than that, everything went better than expected. Remember I ignored YII last time around because of that command line bs, but luckly I'v used it a lot recently.

Edward, did you get your copy yet? I know you've been waiting for it.

Antonio, glad you've got Yii up and running. Yes, OS X is an excellent Web development platform. I consider it the best version of Unix available.

Yes just done it now, but i am not sure if my payment cleared yet, no indication once you submit the button. Although i can download the book now it appears.

Also i have a question what is mobi format, i have a Sumsung Galaxy note, can i put it on here for viewing?

My order went right through. I had no problems.

I suggest you do something with the feedback form, as the textarea is very narrow. Only thing I've noticed so far.

I brewed myself a can of coffee and I'm looking forward to reading now.

Edit:

YII is up and running now. Found out OSX is shipped with PHP and Apache natively, so I activated that and changed my web directory to {user}/Sites/ some weeks ago. Had to alter the default timezone as it was not set, but other than that, everything went better than expected. Remember I ignored YII last time around because of that command line bs, but luckly I'v used it a lot recently.

Oh no, you are getting ahead of me again :unsure: , Right its time to prepare a nice hot Double Latte Expresso and get onto it. Nice one Antonio.

Thanks, Edward. Hope the book is what you were wanting (or it will be when it's done, that is). mobi is the Kindle format. I'm not sure on what other devices it will work, although it would probably work on your Galaxy if you have the Kindle app.

• Upvote 1

Yes it perfect, the yii subdomain on your site has a very nice slick look, was that created with Yii? The PDF worked fine on my mobile, I will read it at Tennis. Did you receive my payment? It says my card was charged on the email response.

I'll download the kindle app today, didn't know about that.

Yes, OS X is an excellent Web development platform. I consider it the best version of Unix available.

Surprisingly easy, yes. Had a lot of problems getting phpMyAdmin to work, though. Took my about an hour to find a blog post telling that "localhost" sometimes is buggy in OS X, so you need to use "127.0.0.1" instead. *facepalm*

Sometimes, the world just won't give you a break... haha

Thank you all. Yes, Edward, the payment went through. Thanks! Thanks, too, for the nice words on the site. I used Twitter Bootstrap for it and tried to match my main site somewhat. Twitter Bootstrap is great for me because it provides fairly decent graphical UI without any design skills. It's also responsive.

The site is NOT built in Yii, mostly because that would have been overkill. There are only 6 public pages (pages you interact with), although one of those pages (account.php) has 11 different parts/steps to it and the logical flow of that one almost broke my mind. I started the site on Saturday, had 90% of it done by Sunday night, then spent two days adding error checks, testing, and polishing up the downloads. A bit of a marathon. I haven't even done any admin pages yet!

I have tomorrow to finish up my presentation on Yii, then I'm off to Toronto for the True North PHP conference, when I return, I've got to get back to writing.

Thanks again to everyone for their interest in the book. It's been a very nice day of sales. Much appreciated!

• Upvote 1

I am just unable to concentrate to do my study on the Javascript book today i am just so excited about this Yii Book. May be its a coincidence, but we have heavy rain here today i think i am going to try and finish the first 4 chapters today. Well i am making a start now be back later on to let you know how they go. ;)

Larry, just bought my copy of the book. Looking forward to reading it.

I loaded the EPUB version onto my iPhone and something I noticed is that when I loaded the book up from iBooks, the cover page is blank. I sat there for a while, thinking the book was still loading, only to realize that the book was loaded and that the cover page is blank.

I imagine this is something you'd want to fix, so thought I'd mention it here.

Hi Larry,

A couple of questions, i'm making notes and highlighting parts of the book in my kindle app on the iPad. As you know i've only just got the kindle app. When you release the next part of the book, are you re-downloading the whole book and therefore wiping out bookmarks, notes, highlights etc. Or does the new material just get added to the first part of the book? (Hope i made that clear)

Secondly, if you find possible spelling mistakes (not so much mistakes, but the wrong word usages, like "table" instead of "stable" release do you a) want to know? and If yes, where would you like them sent?

Thanks

Jonathon

EDIT: I've rechecked the books website, so i'll send you feedback for any potential spelling there.

Hey Jonathon,

Hmmm...hadn't thought throw the notes issue with the Kindle edition. I'll have to figure that out. Thanks for catching it.

Yes, you submitted the errata through the feedback form which is great. Thanks! A nice thing about ebooks is I don't have to live with those mistakes for months and months like with printed books.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear the next 3 chapters will be available on the 20th of November. I just finished the first 4 chapters on Saturday the reason i finished slow was because i spent most of the time trying to figure out what was going on in the Yii Classes. I am also working through the advanced PHP book which i should finish off this week up to page 330, which covers all i need to know for now.

One thing that struck me though was this statement Yii::app()->db->username = 'this username'; Its easy to just accept that but i did try to figure out how that result was achieved but have not figured it out as yet. I know i will get it but i need to dig down into the classes a little more.

I actually think it is worth taking the time to learn the yii framework as i can see that we are going to learn much more as i am rather than just building a framework ourselves. I think its better we see more classes there we don't know what is for than not knowing of it. What i plan doing on next week is working on my own OOP MVC for my practice project. Even though i will use Yii for my project, i just want to build myself just to get more experience and to help me get more easily understand the Yii classes by nature.

I thought the Yii book was good so far but there is still a lot of stuff under the hood that needs to be investigated, i understand for you Larry that it would just be impossible to fully document all of the Yii framework into one book, it just wouldn't be plausible.

Okay well whatever they are coming out. I will start to build my OOP MVC from tomorrow as today i can finish your Advanced PHP book, i will try to make the same thing as Yii, i think ill put up the code later on GitHub so you can take a look. Unless i can think of another better name, i will call the framework Pii. I am really excited about this, i have been reading books for the past 2 - 3 months now with zero coding, my fingers are itching now. My idea is that if i can clone the Yii framework i would have a general better understanding and experience of what is going on so i feel better about using someone else's framework.

I noticed now that in PHP 5.4 there is the SPL autoloader class, well if Yii was using that it would save them quite a lot of code. I may code Pii the conventional way.