Larry Ullman's Book Forums

"The Yii Book" Now Available

Larry

• 1 month later...

Just finished your controllers chapter today, i release now i made a mistake with my project activation page and should of used the routing system, I will make changes this week. I also changed the HTML to HTML5 like you said we should be using now. I have built a good bit of my project now so far i have 11 models and one page i have to deal with tomorrow with 5 models. Well i certainly won't be waiting for Yii 2 as Yii 1 can already do all i need to have done so far. Yii is awesome and incredibly easy to use after a couple of days struggling with their documentation. Sorry i haven't been on here trying to help with questions, i need the time now for my own work, and pretty much the rest of the day i am stuck at Tennis.

Thanks for the update. I would recommend thinking it may take you a time or two or three to get it all right.

Also, I was meaning to message you about this, but in writing the book I'm looking at the Yii API in far greater detail than I ever had before (which is to say, I'm looking at everything in detail, whereas I previously tended to look at just what I needed in just enough detail). In doing so, I'm even more convinced than ever that writing one's own framework is not a good idea.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the update. I would recommend thinking it may take you a time or two or three to get it all right.

Also, I was meaning to message you about this, but in writing the book I'm looking at the Yii API in far greater detail than I ever had before (which is to say, I'm looking at everything in detail, whereas I previously tended to look at just what I needed in just enough detail). In doing so, I'm even more convinced than ever that writing one's own framework is not a good idea.

I like to think that what i am doing is right for the time being, i would put bets on it that if my website does work for business then eventually the entire system would be changed. But i believe now its time to learn the hard way than do nothing and learn nothing at all. Yes i did think to myself that making a framework idea is completely ridiculous especially for larger projects, i would always use a framework from now on.

With Yii i do find that when i am doing something wrong the correct way in Yii is always much easier.

That's cool. I noticed you were implementing the twitter bootstrap, I was just making customizations on the blueprints CSS and it looks equally good. The only negative factor with Blueprints is it doesn't have built in fluid width you have to get it as an extension. So to me the twitter bootstrap looks to be more off a full package and also with the added bonus of the branding confidence it has behind it,

• 2 weeks later...

Relational active record can be tricky, i made a with statement to fetch two related models with a primary key. But for one of the relations i was returned and object as it had a Belongs To relationship. But for other that had a Has Many relationship relational active records returned an array. I couldn't find much documentation on this but i was able to access the data via the array. I also noticed that Yii had not generated all relationships in the models so today i had to fill them in. Just wanted to let you know what i have experienced.

Glad to see the new Yii chapters are out, looks well written as usual. Sessions look easy to use, that was something i didn't need up till now but will need when i have my shopping cart up and working. Now i am working on the transactions stuff of the site, i have 15 models and 6 controllers so far. There are a lot more things to build in, i think i am only about 10% complete off a whole site.

Haha and the forms chapter you wrote looks very familiar to me, its all good stuff. :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know, Edward. It depends upon what your goals are and how much time you have and... There will be an update this week (longest one yet, although just two chapters), but the e-commerce chapter will be one of the last that I do. 

Yeah there are still things i have to go back and edit, ive made a list but i struggle more with planning than coding. Planning takes more time than coding and i think due to it, since i haven't over coded i may use Yii 2. They are getting closer to the release check this out?

https://github.com/yiisoft/yii2/wiki/Yii2-Development-Roadmap

Looking forward to read your Authentication chapter Larry, i did setup the interface but i would like to know how it works more throughly so i can adjust my user databases. One thing that has struct me, it seems we have to have members and admin in the same user table as an enum type, as how can we implement two interfaces for separate admin and member table. It would be possible if there were two user interfaces that admin could have the same id as members, so i thought possibly one user table would be a better solution.

And Larry will you really be doing Yii 2 updates in your book, i think what you have got is a lot of work already, what do you think? Since my planning takes long, i may just go for it in Yii 2 if they release it quickly, the only problem i can see with that is lack of documentation online as apposed to what we have now for Yii version 1.

Hello Edward. I'll definitely be doing Yii 2 updates for the book. It's what I promised, and what people bought the book believing would happen. Wouldn't be appropriate to change my mind now, even if I wanted to (which I don't). 

Considering the timing, I expect I'll finish the book for Yii 1. Then I'll put that version in "maintenance mode", which is means that I'll update it for mistakes but not add new content. Then I'll fork the book and rewrite it for Yii 2.

I'm also going to help the Yii team with the Yii 2 documentation. 

Also, once the book is done, I'm going to take requests from people if there's anything I didn't cover in the book that they'd like me to write about.