Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Yii Version 1 Extended Maintenance

Edward

I finished of the JS book which was awesome it makes JS easy as it was not from other authors. But i would just like to say i am really impressed with the PHP Advanced OOP book, this book is definitely better put together than the David Powers OOP Solutions book. I can also see how your are crafting this book towards using the Yii framework, you have many similar situations to Yii. The Interface chapter for example and also the earlier MVC chap where you routed all the pages through index.php using MOD REWRITE. This is definitely good, David Powers lacked these experience building examples.

Sadly no traits or namespaces in Yii Version 1, may have to wait for the 2nd, those are useful. Actually i guess if my host has PHP 5.3, it won't matter i could still use them even though i possibly lack some of the new Yii functionality. I guess another way of looking at this is people have been surviving for years now making millions to billions of dollars without traits and namespaces so do we really need them!!

I hate that dumb backslash thingy. I think they should've went for spaces and called them imports like other languages. (Functionally, I see nothing wrong, but they just look ugly.

This is two ways to implement the same in Java.

import I.Look.Pretty.*;

$z = new Nice();

/* --------------- */

$y = new I.Look.Pretty.Nice(); // Also pretty nice

I hate that dumb backslash thingy. I think they should've went for spaces and called them imports like other languages. (Functionally, I see nothing wrong, but they just look ugly.

This is two ways to implement the same in Java.

import I.Look.Pretty.*;

$z = new Nice();

/* --------------- */

$y = new I.Look.Pretty.Nice(); // Also pretty nice

The more ugly it looks the more impressed your Girlfriend will be that you can comprehend such complicated code. :)

• Upvote 2