Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Project Ideas

lalarukh12

Hi all respectable members, Hope you all are fine. I just came across another problem and I am sure i would get a direction from here as always ! Actually i have to make a project for my final year using php, mysql, javascript etc and i need to make some new application or something other than the traditional ones. Anyone with an idea is much appreciated :) Thanks.

I've done exactly the same since this summer. I have an internship at a local company, and I've been building a car advertisement system in that time. My best tip would be to write down some interest you have. Try to see if any of that can be developed in PHP. I think I would write a graphical statistics library if I had the time. I find that shit cool. ;)

As we don't really know your interest or you personally, It's kind of hard to suggest something. Remember that you can also build software for others to use, not just working applications. I think stuff like that is actually better to do as a student. Publish something cool on github, publish it open source, set up a website, and it'll be great to show feature possible employees.

Hope that helped you. Tell us what you decide man.

• Upvote 2

Thanks alot Antonio and hartley sir for the suggestions. Actually the matter is not of my interest now it is now a matter of impressing my teachers actually. I ll get good grades if i ll do something innovative and nice. I googled for a long time to get any idea about the new technologies i can use to develop something but didnt find any. Rather than just using php, mysql and JS you can suggest any creative thing for me to built as a project. I am looking foward to the suggestions of you guys. And Antonio sir, as you mentioned what kind of software i can built can you guide me in the right direction ? Thanks .

Hmmm... not to sound presumptuous (since I know nothing about your teacher), but the teacher sounds rather superficial if impressing him/her equates to a good grade. How would you go about impressing your teacher anyway? What specifically are they looking for?

If your teacher is looking for you to use new technologies, then I'd go with the new HTML5 APIs. In terms of innovation, while both PHP and MySQL are always being updated, the changes are nothing too terribly "exciting" (relatively speaking).

When most people think of the "new and exciting web", they're thinking of HTML5; more specifically, the new Javascript APIs available in HTML5. For the sake of learning, I have played with just about every one of these APIs, and so I have a decent amount of familiarity with them. If you're looking to impress your teacher, the following have the biggest superficial wow factor:

- canvas element (Allows for Flash-like animations and full drawing capabilities in HTML5.)

- File API (Allows for all sorts of new types of file manipulation from the browser side. You can also do drag-and-drop for uploading, etc.)

- History API (Allows you to do Ajax page transitions while retaining real URLs. This is very cool.)

- Ajax (Not HTML5, but a starting point for a lot of other technologies and is definitely important to understand if you don't already.)

- WebSocket API (This is one of my favorites. This finally brings true asynchronous messaging to HTML5. You can use this to, for example, set up live chat sessions, live chess games, etc., etc. The list goes on. I suspect that as browser support becomes greater, this will be the Ajax of the future.)

- Local storage (Allows you to store all sorts of data locally. Think of this as cookies on steroids and super easy to use. You can also set up local SQLite DBs that you can interact with using standard SQL commands. This is great for loading a lot of data from the DB without having to constantly make DB requests, etc.)

- CSS3 (CSS3 is under the HTML5 umbrella and allows for all sorts of cool new ways to manipulate the appearance of HTML elements. For example, rotating elements, drop shadows, rounded corners, etc. Look into this more.)

And for some non-HTML5 things you can do to impress your teacher:

- Make a calendar app that allows for selecting dates, etc., etc.

- Make some sort of photo viewer that pops up when you click on thumbnail pics.

- Make animated headers and opening and closing divs.

Really, the list goes on, but if you're looking for the instantaneous and superficial wow factor (without necessarily any real functionality, mind you), then the above should get you a good grade from what sounds like a lame and silly teacher (sorry for being so rude).

I really loved the idea of using HTML5 . Can you tell me where to get its tutorials or some learning material to learn it? The non HTML5 ideas are good too . Actually thats not a fault of my teachers here there is a system where teachers judge students on the basis of these final projects and they are of 400 marks value thats why everyone wants to build something new and creative. I tell you the names of the some projects last year. One was on surface computing , one on facial expressions recognition system, one was a social networking website for university, a medical system recognizing diseases by the symptoms and suggesting medicines etc.

I hope you got the whole idea now. Building something in HTML5 sounds interesting . Please give me some diresction how to start it. Plus if some other ideas came into your mind after reading the whole scenerio please tell about them too. Thanks so much for your time.

Well, all those projects you mentioned sound like very in-depth topics that would take a long time to develop.

Maybe you could do something easier and more fun like develop an easy-to-use API for the canvas element so that you could easily create simply drawing programs, etc.

Here's a site with some cool canvas demos:

http://www.canvasdemos.com/top-100/

I especially like this one:

http://spielzeugz.de/html5/liquid-particles.html

Well said Antonio sir :) but i googled alot and found nothing thats why i decided to take some idea from you experienced people. Hartley Sir, we have a full one year to develop so i guess thats an enough time to develop things like that as they have so much weightage in our GPA. I just searched the canvas thing it is interesting and i ll soon let you people know which project i choose. Thank you so much for your time respected members... Thanks .

• 2 weeks later...

I assume you're referring to an Android app written in Java, right?

If by saying "mobile theft prevention", you're referring to stopping someone from physically stealing your phone, I'm not sure how any app will help you there.

If by saying "mobile theft prevention", you're referring to blocking someone from using your phone that steals it, I imagine that the built-in password feature would be enough (and I don't know how a third-party app could extend that security (but I could be wrong)).

If by saying "mobile theft prevention", you're referring to recovering a stolen (or lost) phone, then you should check out this Apple-made app for the iPhone:

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8

This isn't really a mobile app forum though, so not sure this is the best place to ask questions if you do indeed go that route.

They are clearly building a transformer, Jon. The phone will turn into a lean, mean, killin' machine when stolen. :P

Think we all understand the main purpose with such an app, so no need to think of the term literally. I think your suggestion regarding "Find my iPhone" is really good. I found an article about similar apps for android. Good luck with the project. Keep us updated.

• Upvote 1

Hartley Sir ! This will be actually an application that will help the person finding his phone which has been stolen. If he will install this app in it, this app will send alerts about the current location of phone after every 30 mins (user may change the time duration) to the app builder or to another phone number (as required) and if stolen, the person ll have the exact co-ordinates of the place where phone is present.

Antonio Sir, lol no the phone won't turn into a killing machine but the person may turn into one after finding who stole his phone :P Thanks i ll keep you updated. Any suggestions regarding this are appreciated.

• Upvote 1