Larry Ullman's Book Forums

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with a new problem that has arisen on one of the sites I maintain. I'm getting a PHP error that says:

"It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead."

The funny thing is, the code has been in place for years and we've never gotten these errors. Suddenly they began popping up. I'm guessing maybe the host did an upgrade the the PHP version on the servers, but don't know for sure.

I have a php.ini file for the site and it in I have tried everything I can think of, including:

date.timezone=UTC

date.timezone=America/Chicago

date.timezone=US/Central

When I look at the phpinfo() file the changes I make in my php.ini file are reflected, but I still get this error. What am I doing wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!