Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Question On Including Files

Hello. I have a PHP issue and require some assistance. I’m not sure what caused this issue - going from PHP4 to PHP5, or a PHP configuration setting that my web hosting company made. In PHP4 I was able to include a page of code in my web apps that was hosted on another URL by using the following:

require("http://myincludes.mysite.com/inc_myfunctions.php"). This allowed me to have all my common functions and components used by different web applications in one location and not have to have a copy of them in each web app directory. If I made a change to a function, or added a function, I only had to do it in one place and the change became available to all my web apps. Now with PHP5, I cannot include a page that resides on another URL. This means that I am going to have to have a copy of all my function pages and components in the directory of each of my web apps – And when I need to make a change, I will need to make that change in each location. Does anyone know of a workaround or have an idea of another way to implement this to meet my needs of having them located in one location? Please note that each web app has it’s own URL. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

This is due to how PHP is configured, so you could change it. That being said, I always avoided including files over HTTP. The performance is poor, it introduces new security issues, and it makes too many assumptions.

If all your sites are on the same server, you can put your file in one common directory and just include it vie the file system.