Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hello Hayk! Thanks for the question. I expect I might update it in time, but there are no plans to update it now, which means it wouldn't likely happen until 2018 at the earliest. (Current edition was written in 2013.) Thanks again!

Thanks for the question. I do consider it up to date. The changes in PHP 7 are fairly minimal (for the programmer) and more in fringe areas. I feel completely comfortable with someone reading the 3rd edition today and I wouldn't say that if I didn't mean it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Larry,

I am currently working my way through your "PHP and MySQL for dynamic websites" book and was planning on going on to this book next. Is your response to this question asked by the OP still relevant today? Are you still planning on releasing a new edition this year?

Thanks!

Thanks for your interest! I don't have any plans to release a new edition right now, which means it definitely wouldn't happen in 2018. My guess is the material is still largely relevant and correct, but it obviously doesn't go into the newer stuff (in PHP 7). I'm a bit hesitant to outright recommend it, but if you're just learning OOP and like my writing style, you should be good, but you'd want to check out something like this once you've read it: http://php.net/manual/en/migration70.new-features.php

Thanks again!