Larry Ullman's Book Forums

These are the errors I can point out so far while reading the book.

On page 90, the example script on line 14 missing the letter "r" in one of its function.

On page 103, the description for image D should be "The HTML source, corresponding to C", not B.

DsD3XWl.jpg

On page 128, this might not be an error, but I think I should point it out anyway. The gap between the singe quote used in $var3 is too wide. It can make people think that there's a space between them. empty() function will return true only if there's no space between quotation marks. If it contains a space, then the function will return false. You may want to decrease the gap.

EwqtjWg.jpg

On page 135, the operator for assignment, equality, and inequality is wrong.

KBJJf6t.jpg

Another things I'd like to recommend:

1. The book is using a lot of functions so far into chapter 6, but the discussion about function itself is on chapter 10. I think it's better to push it to the early chapter. (so does about the array).
  2. It's okay to assign predefined variable to a user-defined variable (e.g. $var = $_POST['thing']) to make things easier. I think it's important too, to tell the reader how to use the predefined variable directly without assigning it to a variable first. Note that you might explain this one to the user in later chapter (I haven't finished the book yet). If that's the case, then disregard this point.
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I bought Kindle version and so far I've read Appendix 'Installation' and the beginning of the 1st chapter. There are a lot of misplaced pictures in Appendix, and in the 1 chapter the result code in "To make a basic PHP script" should be 

<!doctype html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<title>Basic PHP Page</title>
</head>
<body>
<!-- Script 1.2 - first.php -->
<p>This is standard HTML.</p>

<?php echo 'This was generated using PHP! </php>
</body>
</html>

instead of 

<!doctype html>

<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<title>Basic PHP Page</title>
</head>
<body>
<!-- Script 1.2 - first.php -->
<p>This is standard HTML.</p>

</body>
</html>

Probably there are a lot of mistakes like these. Is Kindle Edition different than the printed book?

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh! So sorry. I completely missed this somehow. I've never seen the Kindle version but I assume it is different in some ways in that it's a different format. Sorry about any problems you're having with it!