Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Finally - A Book That Works

AndyW

I just wanted to say a huge thanks to Larry for writing the book "PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites" (I have the 4th edition).

To give a little history - I started using PHP about 10 years ago when I was asked to create a portal for some members of a small department that wanted to share information relating to health care. I initially looked at creating a static HTML site but soon came across PHPNuke. I know this particular CMS has had better days but for me 10 years ago it was revolutionary.

I managed to set up a website and installed PHPNuke (including the database on MySQL). I was hooked from that point.

However, I have become lazy over the years and although I have always wanted to create my own dynamic site, I have always stuck to using CMS/Portals (such as WordPress, Drupal, Joomla etc.) and never moved on.

Now, don't get me wrong - these PHP based scripts are excellent and I will continue to use them but I have always just amended code within an already written script and never actually created a site of my own (from scratch) - although I would consider myself an intermediate PHP programmer (I use C# and .Net at work). Even after reading numerous books on the subject I still felt as though I was missing the glue that held everything together. I understood everything about XHTML, CSS, PHP, MYSQL, SESSIONS, COOKIES etc but could never join all the dots to make something work - so I was stuck in a sort of "head knowledge" state.

That is changing now - thanks to the book above. This book is excellent and I am finally joining the dots and have a new found excitement for the language again.

Thanks Larry - I don't know what makes your book so different and usable - but it is - and it's working. I have already purchased the Advanced book on the subject for the next stage of my journey.

I look forward to updating you all on my progress.

Thanks again :-)

• Upvote 2

• 7 months later...

I simply dropped by to tell you I've had PHP for the Web 4th edition for three days and it's already been an eye opener. I don't remember all the books I have started on PHP. I have found one I will finish to be sure. VERY HELPFUL oops sorry didn't mean to shout. You truly have turned geek into English in a logical easy to read and comprehend manner.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Deleted

Yeah Larry writes good books. The world needs more Larry books but he's only one person and he can only pump them out so fast. If only he had clones and each clone was proficient in a different subject. They could work together and publish 100 books a year in a variety of different subjects.

*sad sigh* Wishful thinking.

Seriously though it's hard enough to find an author that has a clue how to explain let alone one that does it well.

• Upvote 1