Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Chapter 3 On Page 64 Related Error Result

The first error was caused by not loading feedback.html through a URL.

Now I get this error when I hit submit

Notice: Undefined index: title in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/handle_form.php on line 14

Notice: Undefined index: name in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/handle_form.php on line 15

Notice: Undefined index: response in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/handle_form.php on line 16

Notice: Undefined index: comments in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/handle_form.php on line 17

Thank you, , for your comments.

You stated that you found this example to be '' and added:

• 1 month later...

My template file:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
    <head>
        <meta charset="UTF-8">
        <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge,chrome=1">
        <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-with,inital-scale=1.0">
        <mega name="HandheldfFriendly" content="True">
        <title>Raise High the Roof Beam!</title>
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="css/concise.min.css" />
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="css/masthead.css" />
    </head>
    <body>

<header container class="siteHeader">
            <div row>
                <h1 column=4 class="logo"><a href="index.php">Raise the Roof Beam!</a></h1>
                <nav column="8" class="nav">
                    <ul>
                        <li><a href="books.php">Books</a></li>
                        <li><a href="#">Stories</a></li>
                        <li><a href="#">Quotes</a></li>
                        <li><a href="login.php">Login</a></li>
                        <li><a href="register.php">Register</a></li>
                    </ul>    
                </nav>
            </div>
        </header>

<main container class="siteContent">
        <!-- BEGIN CHANGEABLE CONTENT. -->
        <h2>Welcome to a J.D. Salinger Fan Club</h2>
        <p>lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consecetur adipisicing elit, sed, do eisumod tempor incidendunt ut labore et dolore amgna aliqua.  Ut enim ad minim venia, quis motrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea comodo consequat.  Duis aute irure dolor inreprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.  Excepteur sin occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.</p>
        <!-- END CHANGEABLE CONTENT. -->
        </main>

<foot container class="siteFooter">
            <p>Design uses <a href="http://concisecss.com/">ConciseCSS Framework</a></p>
            </footer>

</body>
</html>

This would be a CSS issue. Do you have the two CSS files in a "css" folder in the same directory as the rest of the site? Also, if you look in your browser's developer tools, you should see an error message (in the console or elsewhere) about the page not being able to load the CSS files.

• 2 weeks later...

On page 227, it says, "Save the file as register.php, place it in the proper directory on your PHP-enabled server, and test it in your browser (D) and (E).

my iMac runs on XAMPP 7.0.13-1.  Is that part of the PHP-enabled server?

My Firefox browser stated, "
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'define' (T_STRING) in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/practice/forlogin/register.php on line 5."

Am I supposed to put my files on a hosting website in order to activate the register.php?

Line number 5 on my register.php  is: "define('TITLE', 'Register');

Now, I'm lost.

http://localhost/practice/forlogin/register.php

My browser says with an error statement:

"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'define' (T_STRING) in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/practice/forlogin/register.php on line 5."

My line for number 5:  define('TITLE', 'Register');

Parse error means there is a problem with omission of semicolon or an imbalance of quotation marks, braces, or parentheses. (On page 65.) 

On the error statement, What is T_STRING?

---------------------------------

Here is the source:

<?php// Script 8.9 - register.php
/* This page lets people register for the site (in theory). */

// Set the page title and include the header file:
define('TITLE', 'Register');
include('templates/header.html');

// Print some introductory text:
print '<h2>Registeration Form</h2>
    <p>Register so that you can take advantage of certain features like this, that, and the other thing.</p>';

// Check if the form has been submitted:
        if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == 'POST') {

$problem = false; // No problems so far.

// Check for each value...
            if (empty($_POST['first_name'])) {
                $problem = true;
                print '<p class="text--error">Please enter your first name!</p>';

}

if (empty($_POST['last_name'])) {
                $problem = true;
                print '<p class="text--error">Please enter your last name!</p>';

}

if (empty($_POST['email'])) {
                $problem = true;
                print '<p class="text--error">Please enter your email address!</p>';

}

if (empty($_POST['password1'])) {
                $problem = true;
                print '<p class="text--error">Please enter your a password!</p>';

}

if ($_POST['password1'] != $_POST['password2']) {
                $problem = true;
                print '<p class="text--error">Your password did not match your confirmed password!</p>';

}

if (!$problem) { // If there were not any problems...

// Print a message:
                    print '<p class="text--success">You are now registered!<br>Okay, you are not really registered but...</p>';

// Clear the posted values:
                    $_POST = [];

} else { // Forgot a field.

print '<p class="text--error">Please try again!</p>';

}

} // End of handle form IF.

// Create the form:
?>
<form action="register.php" method="post" class="form--inline">

<p><label for="first_name">First Name:</label><input type="text" name="first_name" size="20" value="<?php if (isset($_POST['first_name'])) { print htmlspecialchars($_POST['first_name']); } ?>"></p>

<p><label for="last_name">Last Name:</label><input type="text" name="last_name" size="20" value="<?php if (isset($_POST['last_name'])) { print htmlspecialchars($_POST['last_name']); } ?>"></p>

<p><label for='password1'>Password:</label><input type="password" name="password1" size="20" value="<?php if (isset($_POST['password1'])) { print htmlspecialchars($_POST['password1']); } ?>"></p>

<p><label for='password2'>Confirm Password:</label><input type="password" name="password2" size="20" value="<?php if (isset($_POST['password2'])) { print htmlspecialchars($_POST['password2']); } ?>"></p>

<p><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Register!" class="button--pill"></p>

</form>

<?php include('templates/footer.html');
// Need the footer.  ?>

I finally found the problem with a T_STRING.  It's really really small error into a big error.  Like this:

Source:

<?php// Script 8.9 - register.php
/* This page lets people register for the site (in theory). */

It should be like this:  <?php // Script 8.9 - register.php       (  Space between <?php       //    )   OMG!

Now, I have a question that might be easy for you to answer my problem.  (Note: I forgot to add the email in code for the form so I added it.)

On the screen form, there is a missing text box for Email Address:.  Here is my source.   Thanks.

register.jpg

printout.jpg

Perfect!   Many thanks!

It's too bad that my CodeRunner does not show me the different color for the error statement if you know what I mean.  I do not have a Sublime Text if it would show me the color error.  Beside, I am not familiar with other software.  i.e.  Atom, Coda, etc.  I have to protect my eyes from looking at the monitor for too long.