Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Chapter 3 Pages 59 And 60

SWEAR I entered the code for lines 14-17 exactly as in the book:

$title = $_POST['title'];
$name = $_POST['name'];
$response = $_POST['response'];
$comments = $_POST['comments'];

But the page I got was:

Notice: Undefined index: title in C:\xampp\htdocs\tutorialspoint\handle_form.php on line 14

Notice: Undefined index: name in C:\xampp\htdocs\tutorialspoint\handle_form.php on line 15

Notice: Undefined index: response in C:\xampp\htdocs\tutorialspoint\handle_form.php on line 16

Notice: Undefined index: comments in C:\xampp\htdocs\tutorialspoint\handle_form.php on line 17

Thank you, , for your comments.

You stated that you found this example to be '' and added:

So I tried a suggestion I found online and altered the code like so:

$title = isset($_POST['title']) ?$_POST['title'] : 0 ;
$name = isset($_POST['name']) ? $_POST['name'] : '' ;
$response = isset($_POST['response']) ? $_POST['response'] : '' ;
$comments = isset($_POST['comments']) ? $_POST['comments'] : '' ;

The page I got was the following:

Thank you, 0 , for your comments.

You stated that you found this example to be '' and added:

Why isn't it working?

P.S. Is there a way to attach files to posts as with emails? I've got screenshots of what I did.

Hi, I had the same errors.  After much searching and testing different things this is what ended up working. 

In your feedback.html page add this:

<form enctype="form-data/multipart" method="POST" action="handle_form.php">

After updating and saving the feedback.html page the handle_form.php page now works.  Remember to refresh the feedback.html page and start again before using it.

Edited by Quinn

Hmm...thanks for sharing what worked for you, although it'd surprise me if that made a difference, but your mileage may vary. The most important question is whether the form is being submitted with data or not. If there's no data, then it should print those errors (as written at that point in the book). 

Hi, I had the same errors.  After much searching and testing different things this is what ended up working. 

In your feedback.html page add this:

<form enctype="form-data/multipart" method="POST" action="handle_form.php">

After updating and saving the feedback.html page the handle_form.php page now works.  Remember to refresh the feedback.html page and start again before using it.

Thanks! That worked!

Hmm...thanks for sharing what worked for you, although it'd surprise me if that made a difference, but your mileage may vary. The most important question is whether the form is being submitted with data or not. If there's no data, then it should print those errors (as written at that point in the book). 

I admit I didn't know that I actually had to add "http://" to the URL first. I thought it was already there even if I didn't literally see it in the address bar. BUT even after I did add "http://" it still didn't work. Only after I tried Quinn's suggestion did it work.

Is there a reason why I and Quinn have to do something like this but others don't? Are we using versions of certain software that's too old or something?

It's great that it's working that way for you but this is really surprising to me. That enctype is only required when a form also submits file data. What browser are you seeing this in?

I'm running all this on Ubuntu Linux 16.04, and used all 3 browsers I have:  Google Chrome, Firefox and Ubuntu's browser.  I ran the pages many times trying different things, and even with the error checking it didn't help much at all, it just didn't work. 

After looking around the web and trying stuff (all of which did not work) I thought I'd try enctype="form-data/multipart" after seeing it.  I did not expect it to work, but it did, in all 3 browsers. 

By the way I have to use http:// when I'm working with the Ubuntu browser, it won't work without it.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for y'all, but this has really surprised me. I'd not seen it before. Although to be clear again, it should matter whether form data is being submitted or not (i.e., you shouldn't need the enctype if you're submitting the form). Also, over time you'll learn how to only refer to form values if they have values, which is what really matters. 

Thanks for sharing the feedback!

• 2 years later...