Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Kindle And Ibooks Update

Jonathon

Hi Larry and others,

Thanks for the new update. I ahve a question/problem. I wanted to put it here for other people to see as it could just be me. I have an iPad3 and have downloaded the Yii Book, every time a new release comes out it says open in ibook or kindle and i do and it just downloads another copy of the book. So currently, I have the first part in a book in kindle, a second book with the extra chapter and now a third copy of the Yii book.

Am i doing something wrong here (clearly). I've never had anything Apple before so it could be me.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Jonathon

I tend to think of MOBI as being the Kindle format and iBooks using epub. There was a problem with the first ePub version and iBooks, but that's been resolved.

As for what you're seeing, it's not because of Apple, it's because of Kindle and me. In short, I'm not sure why Kindle is handling it this way and I'll need to do more research to figure that out. On the Kindle app on my Mac, the first update replaced the original file and the notes transferred. With the latest update, there are now two copies of the book in my Kindle library for some reason.

I'll see if I can't get this resolved in January and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Hi Larry,

I've been using the Kindle version (MOBI) that's where all my notes are. I tried the epub version for iBooks and had the same problem though. It's not a huge issue for me, I can always write my notes up again once the whole thing is finished. I was mainly hoping it was an issue with me and my lack of Apple OS.

Thanks again

Jonathon

Thanks for your patience and for providing me with feedback. I'm still figuring out some of this myself. The first time I updated the book using MOBI on the Kindle app, it replaced the version and retained my notes. The second time, it created a new version. Not sure what that's about. I hadn't thoroughly thought through this possible issues with my "publish as I write it" plan!

That's no problem Larry. It would be nice obviously if at least 1 format allowed me to just update the book. However if it can't be fixed or takes some time isolating the problem it takes some time. It was just to let you and others know my experience incase it was an error on my part.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Jonathon