Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Problem Printing Table Info

Hi,

I want to display a table of interest groups in a html table. My loop prints out a new row, which is fine. The problem I have is that I want my table to print 4 columns i.e. the <td> tag four times. I am not sure of the code to repeat the <td> tag four times.

Any ideas would be gratefully accepted. Here is my code for the moment.

<table class="data-table">

<?php do { ?>
  <tr>
      <td><a href="#"><?php echo $rs_display_groups['GroupName']; ?></a></td>      

<?php } while ($rs_display_groups = mysqli_fetch_array($display_groups_result)); ?> 
   </tr> 

</table>    

Sorry code should read:

<table class="data-table">

<?php do { ?>
  <tr>
      <td><a href="#"><?php echo $rs_display_groups['GroupName']; ?></a></td>   
  </tr> 
<?php } while ($rs_display_groups = mysqli_fetch_array($display_groups_result)); ?> 

</table>  

This is easily enough done once you understand the logic. Before the loop, create a counter variable that goes from 1 to 4. Initialize it to 1, before the loop. Within the loop (looping through the results), first check if the counter equals 1. If so, create a new row (a

). Then print the record within a . Then increment the counter. Then check if the counter equals 4 (i.e., the row is done). If so, close the and reset the counter to 1. 

That takes care of the display of records. After the loop, you'll need to go from the counter to 4 to create the required

s to complete the last row, and close the last .