Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Trying To Connect To The Mysql Server

I'm currently at step 5 on p.440. 

I got the "Enter password" prompt, but when I entered a password, I got the following response:

ERROR 1045 <28000>: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' <using password: Y

ES>

It was really weird the way it was cut off like that. But try as I might, I could only expand the command prompt window vertically, not horizontally. So I'm not 100% sure what the messages are.

So I tried using "yes" as a password and got this response:

ERROR 1045 <28000>: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' <using password: N

O>

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry for the confusion here! I wouldn't worry at all about the "YES" being wrapped like that. It's just a matter of the size of the terminal window and has no impact on the functionality. 

I'm not sure what's going on the second time. Do you know what the proper MySQL password is? It's almost certainly not "yes". 

Do you know what the proper MySQL password is? It's almost certainly not "yes". 

That part isn't clear to me.

I thought this was where I was setting up the password.

If there's already a password, where do I go to find out what it is?

Depending upon how you installed MySQL and on what operating system, there may or may not be a password set already. 

Earlier you specifically referenced page 440, and the steps there are just logging into MySQL. They aren't trying to set the password. 

I'm actually on p.350. It said something about testing connection username and password by using them in the MySQL client, which I thought was a reference to p. 438.

Anyhow, this is my code for mysqli_connect.php:

<!doctype html>

<html lang="en">
<head>
   <meta charset="utf-8">
   <title>Connect to MySQL</title>
</head>
<body>
<?php // Script 12.1 - mysqli_connect.php
/* This script connects to the MySQL database. */

// Attempt to connect to MySQL and print out messages:
if ($dbc = mysqli_connect('localhost', 'username', 'password', 'myblog')) {

print '<p>Successfully connected to the database!</p>';

mysqli_close($dbc); // Close the connection.

} else {
   print '<p style="color: red;">Could not connect to the database.</p>';

}

?>
</body>
</html>

But when I bring up its page, I get the following:

Warning: mysqli_connect(): (HY000/1045): Access denied for user 'username'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in C:\xampp\htdocs\tutorialspoint\mysqli_connect.php on line 12 
Could not connect to the database.

As far as installing MySQL, I've just installed XAMPP on Windows 7 Professional.

I thought XAMPP already has MySQL. Or have I misunderstood something?

Edited by hfcnew